Instant apps

Cotix

So my phone just downloaded "instant apps" and installed it. It happened quickly and when i clicked the notification while installing it opened Google play store. I can't find it anywhere, not on play store, not in phone settings. Is that new Google service that lets you preview the app without installing it, if so, is there a way to confirm its actually it. Should i run Malwarebytes?

It works for me when I click a CBC link and it opens the CBC app for me,otherwise IDK,it's not very common 

My life

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

It works for me when I click a CBC link and it opens the CBC app for me,otherwise IDK,it's not very common 

I went on cbc website and clicked random article, it just opened it in browser. I need some way to confirm if it's that new feature or malware

This is the only clue of that "instant apps"

Screenshot_20180327-225830.png

7 minutes ago, Cotix said:

This is the only clue of that "instant apps"

Screenshot_20180327-225830.png

My life

So such feature here. Don't mind the language. Is it maybe geographical thing? I'm located it eu so maybe this is just setting foundation for the feature?

Screenshot_20180327-231518.png

Found this in Settings->apps->system apps. I guess that's it. Can you confirm if you have it?Screenshot_20180327-231852.thumb.png.ed7c3047d67abf05e61f513d554e55fe.png

This is part of the Google Play services package.

Instant Apps is a new set of APIs which allows for "streaming" of apps. So for example if you visit the Wikipedia website in the phone's browser, if Wikipedia's app is instant app enabled, the link will open inside the Wikipedia app even if you don't have it installed.

Your phone automatically downloads certain parts of the Wikipedia app which is needed to serve that specific link you clicked. You get the benefits of having the app, but without needing to install it.

Here is how you can test it:

Open Google Chrome on your phone.

Navigate to Google.com.

Search for: New York time crosswords

Click on the link which says something along the lines of "the app crossword - instant". It should be the first one.

You can also see more examples on this page:

Android Instant Apps

Your example doesn't work on my device in both chrome nor opera. I guess it's not functional yet. I just wanted to know if it's legit or some kind of malware. I guess I'm safe lol :)