Computer Restarts Through Loading Games

Hello! I have an issue with my first PC I built. I've had it for about a year now, it's been alright. I'll admit my one mess up through the build quite awhile ago, which ended up being that I believe I bent a CPU socket pin. It's just one, and I couldn't exactly tell if it was broken 100%, but it was my first PC build. I didn't attempt repairs, I'd be nervous to do it now. But despite being worried half the build, it turned on and worked 100%. No known issues, and the issue I have is new, not always being here.

So when I load levels of a game, or a game in general, my PC will blackscreen shut down. As if the power switch was just flipped. It'll restart automatically though, and sometimes this will cause the restart to take a really long time for what the SSD normally has it startup when it comes to time.

Important things I notice is that this doesn't happen when a game is running. It can keep going up to its max in FPS, and wont do this. Even in minecraft where FPS limits aren't really a thing, it'll just go as high as it can. I can't get it to crash in things like this. But I have an Oculus Rift. It crashes I'd say 1/3 of the time that the Oculus interface loads up within the Oculus. It hasn't been doing it in games for the Oculus, but I got Duck Season, and it has crashed almost every time on beginning a level once I got to around level 6.

This also crashes on cutscenes a lot on Nier: Automata, and I gave up playing it basically. It's what had me discover this issue, and it's been here for a month I'd say.

This also crashes the Naruto: Storm titles upon usually loading a fight, but it's rare. It's just, I can tell it comes from the same issue. The Oculus interface loading up is the most consistent with this crashing.

Also, I don't think many would assume this, but it's not the VR gear I don't think. I only have 1 HDMI port on my PC with this GPU, but I use dual monitors. I gotta unplug my 2nd monitor hooked up to HDMI to use the Oculus, so yea.

I'm not the most techy, but I'm 17, so I'll try my best to try what I can! Thank you for reading and replying if you do!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4rfGXP

Hello, I am back. Eventually thanks to this issue it seems, the computer stopped turning on at one point. It would only not shut off instantly if I disconnected the CPU 8-pin connector for it's power on the motherboard, letting the fans continue to spin at the very least. I was told by a diagnosis shop that it was the motherboard at fault. With that said, I replaced it. After the spending of 250-300$ish dollars with limited options, the PC seemed fixed. But in the next few days, it happens again. Every time I load a section of the world in a game like Ark: Survival Evolved (Usually through fast travel, or more likely, when the game 1st loads up the map when I log on) it crashes. In Fortnite, the PC also crashes as soon as it's done loading it appears. When I say it crashes, I mean the computer flat out seems like it was unplugged and restarts. I know it's not the motherboard. And I got a new GPU since the beginning of this. So is it guaranteed to be the power supply? I thought so, but apparently that diagnosis shop claims to have tested it and said it was good. They tested the ram as well. Tempertures are nowhere close to the issue btw. Thank you for reading.

I have figured out a way of replicating the issue perfectly. By having a video playing on the side, then trying to quickly load up Overwatch and search for a game, I then crash. Here are instances of it. One showing what happens on screen, and the other showing an angle facing the PC specifically.

After testing this once more, I found out it doesn't need a video, or anything playing on the 2nd monitor. The same result will happen. And it's not from the matchmaking or anything. It's as soon as it attempts to load in the Miora character background within a few seconds of starting the game. Seems I cannot play Overwatch at all now, but I can play Rocket League and other titles with only rarer crashes.

That's very weird, might be overclock or if you can't find a solution i would recommend reinstalling windows.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

13 hours ago, GamGamist said:

Hello! I have an issue with my first PC I built. I've had it for about a year now, it's been alright. I'll admit my one mess up through the build quite awhile ago, which ended up being that I believe I bent a CPU socket pin. It's just one, and I couldn't exactly tell if it was broken 100%, but it was my first PC build. I didn't attempt repairs, I'd be nervous to do it now. But despite being worried half the build, it turned on and worked 100%. No known issues, and the issue I have is new, not always being here.

So when I load levels of a game, or a game in general, my PC will blackscreen shut down. As if the power switch was just flipped. It'll restart automatically though, and sometimes this will cause the restart to take a really long time for what the SSD normally has it startup when it comes to time.

Important things I notice is that this doesn't happen when a game is running. It can keep going up to its max in FPS, and wont do this. Even in minecraft where FPS limits aren't really a thing, it'll just go as high as it can. I can't get it to crash in things like this. But I have an Oculus Rift. It crashes I'd say 1/3 of the time that the Oculus interface loads up within the Oculus. It hasn't been doing it in games for the Oculus, but I got Duck Season, and it has crashed almost every time on beginning a level once I got to around level 6.

This also crashes on cutscenes a lot on Nier: Automata, and I gave up playing it basically. It's what had me discover this issue, and it's been here for a month I'd say.

This also crashes the Naruto: Storm titles upon usually loading a fight, but it's rare. It's just, I can tell it comes from the same issue. The Oculus interface loading up is the most consistent with this crashing.

Also, I don't think many would assume this, but it's not the VR gear I don't think. I only have 1 HDMI port on my PC with this GPU, but I use dual monitors. I gotta unplug my 2nd monitor hooked up to HDMI to use the Oculus, so yea.

I'm not the most techy, but I'm 17, so I'll try my best to try what I can! Thank you for reading and replying if you do!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4rfGXP

Hello, I am back. Eventually thanks to this issue it seems, the computer stopped turning on at one point. It would only not shut off instantly if I disconnected the CPU 8-pin connector for it's power on the motherboard, letting the fans continue to spin at the very least. I was told by a diagnosis shop that it was the motherboard at fault. With that said, I replaced it. After the spending of 250-300$ish dollars with limited options, the PC seemed fixed. But in the next few days, it happens again. Every time I load a section of the world in a game like Ark: Survival Evolved (Usually through fast travel, or more likely, when the game 1st loads up the map when I log on) it crashes. In Fortnite, the PC also crashes as soon as it's done loading it appears. When I say it crashes, I mean the computer flat out seems like it was unplugged and restarts. I know it's not the motherboard. And I got a new GPU since the beginning of this. So is it guaranteed to be the power supply? I thought so, but apparently that diagnosis shop claims to have tested it and said it was good. They tested the ram as well. Tempertures are nowhere close to the issue btw. Thank you for reading.

I have figured out a way of replicating the issue perfectly. By having a video playing on the side, then trying to quickly load up Overwatch and search for a game, I then crash. Here are instances of it. One showing what happens on screen, and the other showing an angle facing the PC specifically.

After testing this once more, I found out it doesn't need a video, or anything playing on the 2nd monitor. The same result will happen. And it's not from the matchmaking or anything. It's as soon as it attempts to load in the Miora character background within a few seconds of starting the game. Seems I cannot play Overwatch at all now, but I can play Rocket League and other titles with only rarer crashes.

Yea, I'd reinstall windows at this point like Vandorlot said just to rule out software/driver issues.

It could be the PSU, but it could also be the graphics card.

Since that's an intel CPU, you could try taking out the graphics card all together and just running it off of the built in intel HD graphics to see if the problem still happens as a way to rule out the GPU.

Also, go into your reliability history and see what was happening when that crash happened.

It should show a red error on that date labeled critical.

Double click it and copy and paste what it says here.

hit start - type reliability history to find that.

"The previous system shutdown at 11:21:30 PM on ‎3/‎26/‎2018 was unexpected."

That's what I get with the crashes in reliability history.

I don't think it could be the graphics card because I've had this problem back when I had an RX 380 GPU. I replaced it, thinking it was that, and I wanted to upgrade anyway. Still having the issue, I guess the issue eventually killed my motherboard. Didn't know what to replace at the time, so took it to a shop, and they told me it was either the CPU or the Motherboard. They didn't have an X99 to test it with, but they claimed to have tested the PSU and said it was okay. I replaced the motherboard, and... It seemed to work well at first. But slowly, it's going to the state it was in. Getting more and more crashes every day in-game. Also, I've tried reinstalling windows. Wish it was that easy. Thanks for the help though, but still no solutions found. And this intel CPU is a 5820k, meaning it doesn't have onboard graphics. But I still have my old 380 card.

Also to Vanderlot, I haven't overclocked this machine. I have before, but turned it all off awhile back until this issue was resolved.

Best option would be to reinstall windows even though it is a hassle. You need a 4gb+ram stick, run the ram stick with that(everything on it will get deleted) then boot into it in bios and then continue. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

I said above that I've already tried reinstalling windows. Is there any point to it again? It was just about a month ago, and the issue hasn't really changed.

Just now, GamGamist said:

I said above that I've already tried reinstalling windows. Is there any point to it again? It was just about a month ago, and the issue hasn't really changed.

Oh yeah I saw that. I don't know, if you already reinstalled windows I don't think it would help. You could try running DDU and then installing your graphics driver.

My Rig

Peripherals

I'd try, but think the GPU isn't gonna help either... Like I said, used to have a 380 that I replaced for this 1070. Had the issue back then. I've tested each ram stick individually so I think the ram, GPU, and motherboard are knocked out. So.. Maybe the CPU is like killing my boards? Maybe the computer shop didn't truly test my PSU and my PSU is messed up? 

2 minutes ago, GamGamist said:

I'd try, but think the GPU isn't gonna help either... Like I said, used to have a 380 that I replaced for this 1070. Had the issue back then. I've tested each ram stick individually so I think the ram, GPU, and motherboard are knocked out. So.. Maybe the CPU is like killing my boards? Maybe the computer shop didn't truly test my PSU and my PSU is messed up? 

Run MEMTest64 to test memory.

Do you have an extra PSU or a friend that would tel you borrow one? If not you could buy one and then return it. Microcenter if you have one nearby is what I would recommend.

My Rig

Peripherals