Need headset advice for pc gaming

Psychochambers

So I just traded in my razer kraken pro v2’s for a Steelseries Siberia 800 headset and before I even open it I need to know if I even made the right call...

should i I get a sound card? Are there better headsets for the price range? ($300)

if I just plug and play (usb) am I getting the 7.1 surround sound? 

should I just get seinnheiser game zeros? 

I should have done much more research before turning in my headset and adding $200 to a new purchase. 

I've heard mixed reviews between both the Razer and Steelseries headsets. Mostly positive. So I can't say you've made the right decision there. The only thing to do now is look at reviews of the Steelseries cans and see what others say about them. Form an opinion there. It also boils down to whether or not your Razers sounded bad to you enough for you to trade in.

Buying headsets is hard in general because one has to experience the sound before you know if it is right your your hearing. I have a Corsair HS60 headset and I think they sound is wonderful. But again, it depends on the person. I am sure there are other cans out there that sound better and possibly for a similar price.

As far as other brands go, if money is no object, I hear lots of stellar things about Sennheiser cans on the headset aspect, as well as phones in general.

Ultrima Z238EC: Ryzen 7 3800X @ stock, Enermax AquaFusion AIO w/ 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans, ASRock Taichi X570, Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 AMP!, 2x8GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200MHz, Lian Li Lancool II Case