Packet Loss Troubleshooting

Siq
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
Just now, Siq said:

Ahh, Here is where I got the IP from, https://imgur.com/a/mBTAj.
IP Address is the very same as the one I pinged and the same as the Gateway IP in that photo. 

I just found that whatismyip.com says my IPv4 IP is the same as the two mentioned above. 

ok so thats your Public IP gateway from your ISP. So you did it correctly. so looks like the Packet loss is beyond that IP address. Looks like the packet loss starts at 144.130.208.210 which looks to be owned by Asian Pacific Network Information Centre. https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-144-130-0-0-1/pft?s=144.130.208.210

You should open a ticket with your ISP regarding this. 

Heya there,

For the past few days I've had a large amount of packet loss on my connections to various servers, least to say it's very annoying. I don't have much experience with troubleshooting packet loss and am unsure on how to narrow down the problem. 
I'm getting roughly 40% packet loss after a minute of pinging google on cmd as example.
Wonder if anyone here has any troubleshooting ideas and processes for this type of thing.

Thank you!

| i'm bad at games, but play them anyways |

What do traceroutes look like? Since you are travelling around the world testing to google from Australia, how does pings look to local IPs in your country?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

23 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

What do traceroutes look like? Since you are travelling around the world testing to google from Australia, how does pings look to local IPs in your country?

I'm not completely sure how tracerts work on cmd, but doing it with Australian Post, says I have my normal ping of like 9-20. It had 12 hops(?) 4 of which "Request Timed Out" and the very last one had 107ms. 

If you dont know about Traceroute and mention hops, then that tells me you are confused. Post screenshots of what it is you are talking about

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You can also download and use a free tool called ping plotter that will ping and traceroute for you and should should you were the packet loss is happening at. Its a good troubleshooting tool to use. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

You can also download and use a free tool called ping plotter that will ping and traceroute for you and should should you were the packet loss is happening at. Its a good troubleshooting tool to use. 

https://imgur.com/a/iMFFe < Thats an image of a tracert for auspost ( my national post ). I got the term hop based off what cmd says, and assumed it meant the route it takes between servers and such to reach its destination.

Included is a couple seconds of pingplotter like suggested, although I honestly have no idea what I'm reading there. 

I also probably scribbled across a useless ip :3

1 minute ago, Siq said:

https://imgur.com/a/iMFFe < Thats an image of a tracert for auspost ( my national post ). I got the term hop based off what cmd says, and assumed it meant the route it takes between servers and such to reach its destination.

Included is a couple seconds of pingplotter like suggested, although I honestly have no idea what I'm reading there. 

I also probably scribbled across a useless ip :3

alright, so run some pings to your default gateway, you can get this by opening CMD and type in ipconfig /all 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

alright, so run some pings to your default gateway, you can get this by opening CMD and type in ipconfig /all 

https://imgur.com/a/9YFwg << Default Gateway pings

14 minutes ago, Siq said:

https://imgur.com/a/9YFwg << Default Gateway pings

is that to your router IP of like 192. or to your ISP default gateway? If its your router, then you will need to login to your router and get the default gateway of your ISP and run pings to that the same way. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

is that to your router IP of like 192. or to your ISP default gateway? If its your router, then you will need to login to your router and get the default gateway of your ISP and run pings to that the same way. 

Alright I'm a little confused again. So in my gateway on the browser, it says WAN IP? The WANIP is shown when I hover my mouse over the top icon in this: https://imgur.com/a/unBnt . The same IP is shown in advanced options under "Gateway". Is this the right ping? 

If so, here is a photo of the ping tests to that IP; https://imgur.com/a/Sk3H1

Is the IP address you are pinging a public IP address that is assigned to you by your ISP or is it from your DHCP server thats on your router that likely begins with 192.168 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Is the IP address you are pinging a public IP address that is assigned to you by your ISP or is it from your DHCP server thats on your router that likely begins with 192.168 

IP Address is the very same as the one I pinged and the same as the Gateway IP in that photo. 

I just found that whatismyip.com says my IPv4 IP is the same as the two mentioned above. 

Just now, Siq said:

ok so thats your Public IP gateway from your ISP. So you did it correctly. so looks like the Packet loss is beyond that IP address. Looks like the packet loss starts at 144.130.208.210 which looks to be owned by Asian Pacific Network Information Centre. https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-144-130-0-0-1/pft?s=144.130.208.210

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

Thank you!