Home lab?

Symnet

This is my first post and I guess this is more of a homelab than just a single server buuuutttt....

I've got a rack of 5 servers (pictures attached) and from top to bottom they are

• A hypervisor (Dell Poweredge r610 with 48GB RAM, small LVM of 5 76gb SAS drives)
  • A router on a SuperMicro server I got from work
  • A ZoneMinder server for surveillance
  • a NAS with 4 1TB HDDs
  • A second hypervisor (Dell Poweredge 2950 32GB RAM and another 4 1TB drives)

Both hypervisors are running ESXi and connected to a vCenter. Both of them use the NAS for extra storage.

I'm running a media server, some game servers, a git server and a few websites for a small community I run on telegram

The switch is a Dell PowerConnect gigabit.

Any suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

JPEG_20180122_233246.jpg

the second pic featuring a DIMM failure :(

(i removed the first picture cause i noticed a lot of what was in it isnt in the second one, and the second one is current)

10 hours ago, Symnet said:

Any suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

Middle Atlantic makes a line of rackmount cages called the Slim 5 series. They ship broken down and require assembly. Might be a nice replacement to your wooden one. I've had the slim 5 before and they are really nice.

Living Room: HTPC (M1 Mac Mini 8/256) HiFi (Furman Elite-15 PFi > Cambridge 851N > Emotiva A300 > Focal Chora 826) Display (65-inch LG Oled, 22-inch Dell)

Office: Workstation (AMD 3900X, RX5700XT, 32GB) Headphones (Cambridge DacMagic+ > Schiit Lyr 3 > DT 990. 2 Sonos One in Stereo) Display (32-inch Gigabyte)

5 hours ago, lttUser1234 said:

Middle Atlantic makes a line of rackmount cages called the Slim 5 series. They ship broken down and require assembly. Might be a nice replacement to your wooden one. I've had the slim 5 before and they are really nice.

omg ive been looking all over for a good cage thank you :D

• 2 weeks later...

I moved my switch to the back of the rack so I could run smaller cables with a neater run.

Also you don't mention a UPS.

Might be worth a look.

Its a pretty sweet build. Have you tried getting rid of the monitor and keyboard by using the DRACs from your dell servers? you could also do the same for the switch with the OOB port and enabling either telnet or ssh.

Best regards.

What model of cameras are you using with zoneminder? I bought some cameras that supports all the fancy IP camera protocols like ONVIF etc.. but the framerate was shit through zoneminder :-( Only option at the time was to use ffmpeg, wouldn't work otherwise.

Make sure you plan to add another R610 or R710, that 48gb will run out quickly. Ideally replace the 2950 to save some electricity and bump in performance. I have 128gb across 2 servers and I'm in the market for more.

One fun project would be creating a dashboard showing various statuses: 

The best part is whatever your setup, it's likely already been done so it shouldn't be hard to find a guide to pull whatever data you want from whatever source.