Pixel Rooting Help

What do?  

1. 1. How do?

• Systemless root with Magisk
    • Systemless root with SUhide
    • Fully custom recovery and/or ROM with some form of SafetyNet intact

I've been using a Google Pixel for about a year now and I love it. I got a second one to mess around with, and I can't decide what to do/what would be worth it. It's been a while since I've been active in the rooting and custom ROM scene, and a lot has changed. None of it is above my head really, I just can't make up my mind.

I had read up about rooting the pixel last summer, and it was still relatively new, but straight forward (with custom ROMs being still too experimental for my tastes). I decided to hold off until my warranty was up (the hardware issues common with the pixel spooked me), but now that I have another I'm ready to dive in. One thing I forgot about though: SafetyNet. I would like to keep that intact. So, that said, which would be most optimal (stable&secure) yet also useful (features&root)? I'm mostly unfamiliar with Magisk, and am hesitant to see how it interacts with applications in granting root, not sure about benefits over Xposed, etc. etc.

TL;DR help my indecisive self figure out what to do to my phone

--Gas_Mask_

In my experience Magisk works fine, it can pass SafetyNet and you can hide root from most apps if you need to. (Nothing is perfect and some apps may take extra measures to tell if your phone is using a custom rom or rooted) Is there any particular rom you're looking at? I'm using LineageOS 15.1

Disclaimer: I have a Nexus 5x so things might work differently, but most of what I've seen shows that its mostly the same process between devices.

1 hour ago, tjcater said:

In my experience Magisk works fine, it can pass SafetyNet and you can hide root from most apps if you need to. (Nothing is perfect and some apps may take extra measures to tell if your phone is using a custom rom or rooted) Is there any particular rom you're looking at? I'm using LineageOS 15.1

Disclaimer: I have a Nexus 5x so things might work differently, but most of what I've seen shows that its mostly the same process between devices.

I had been considering either that or Resurrection. How is your experience with Magisk granting superuser? (to apps like terminal emulator for example)

--Gas_Mask_

1 minute ago, Gas_Mask_ said:

I had been considering either that or Resurrection. How is your experience with Magisk granting superuser? (to apps like terminal emulator for example)

I haven't used terminal emulator but when running apps like Kernel managers or root file explorers, a prompt pops up asking whether you want to grant or deny root access (And a toggle to remember this decision)

9 minutes ago, tjcater said:

I haven't used terminal emulator but when running apps like Kernel managers or root file explorers, a prompt pops up asking whether you want to grant or deny root access (And a toggle to remember this decision)

And correct me if I'm wrong, but with the newer(est) versions you don't have to toggle the whole thing to pass SafetyNet right? (Because of Magisk hide)

--Gas_Mask_

Just now, Gas_Mask_ said:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but with the newer(est) versions you don't have to toggle the whole thing to pass SafetyNet right? (Because of Magisk hide)

Sorta correct. It passes SafetyNet but you'll need to enable Hide on each app (Unless I'm mistaken and all apps are automatically toggled to hide) I'm running an older version (v14, vs the newer v16) since my device has a booting issue with it on Oreo but this should be resolved in 16.1 (Its in beta, could release anytime)

7 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Sorta correct. It passes SafetyNet but you'll need to enable Hide on each app (Unless I'm mistaken and all apps are automatically toggled to hide) I'm running an older version (v14, vs the newer v16) since my device has a booting issue with it on Oreo but this should be resolved in 16.1 (Its in beta, could release anytime)

I'd only need to hide SafetyNet required apps though, right? Others could still have root simultaneously?

--Gas_Mask_

1 minute ago, Gas_Mask_ said:

I'd only need to hide SafetyNet required apps though, right? Others could still have root simultaneously?

Correct

7 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Correct

Interesting... I'm still wrestling whether to do that, or the old method with SUhide, and whether a custom ROM/recovery are worth it for me right now... I love that stuff, but I really need it all to pass SN, and I want to keep it mostly reversable

--Gas_Mask_

1 hour ago, Gas_Mask_ said:

I love that stuff, but I really need it all to pass SN, and I want to keep it mostly reversable

Just went and downloaded the latest beta (v16.1) and it does pass safetynet out of the box. Android Pay was also automatically toggled to have root hidden from it. If you keep a backup of the stock rom, you could just reflash it and lock the bootloader/change the recovery back to stock and the OEM would be none the wiser.

Who doesn't love cat photos:

Spoiler

Passes:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Magisk_Manager_20180315-174726.thumb.png.f9e71ab02fa9be4b944236f6ff6265da.png

Automatically toggled

Spoiler

Screenshot_Magisk_Manager_20180315-174506.thumb.png.d550186eaa4cd6f6971b64eea9447b32.png

Simple toggle

Spoiler

Screenshot_Magisk_Manager_20180315-174448.thumb.png.1fda4935f64d68981fe7bd57c5ae96a7.png

52 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Just went and downloaded the latest beta (v16.1) and it does pass safetynet out of the box. Android Pay was also automatically toggled to have root hidden from it. If you keep a backup of the stock rom, you could just reflash it and lock the bootloader/change the recovery back to stock and the OEM would be none the wiser.

Who does love cat photos:

Reveal hidden contents

Passes:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Magisk_Manager_20180315-174726.thumb.png.f9e71ab02fa9be4b944236f6ff6265da.png

Automatically toggled

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Magisk_Manager_20180315-174506.thumb.png.d550186eaa4cd6f6971b64eea9447b32.png

Simple toggle

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Magisk_Manager_20180315-174448.thumb.png.1fda4935f64d68981fe7bd57c5ae96a7.png

That's what I had as my backup plan anyway. Thanks for the info!

--Gas_Mask_

16 hours ago, huilun02 said:

?? You either want to root or you dont? I've never met someone who was on the fence with regards to modding. Using apps that require root? Then root...

Need to pass Safetynet with root? Then use Magisk... Stock rom lacking features that you want or has unremovable bloat? Then install a custom rom. Afraid of breaking warranty? Just flash back to stock firmware before sending in the phone.

I'm just indecisive I guess, haha. It used to be really cut and dry for me: mod everything. But it's all gotten a bit more complicated since then... that seems to be true with everything though, *sigh* I'll figure it out soon

--Gas_Mask_