New storage tutorials?

I recently (by which I mean today) finished up my semester in grad school, so I have a month to work on other stuff!

Anyone want a tutorial? By this I mean something that could be of use to everyone, or that people might find interesting. Not something to benefit you or possibly only a handful of people.

I have one in the works on storage networking, but leave new ideas in the comments.

Possible issues:

I can talk about the products I work with (Equallogic PS and FS at the moment, Compellent coming soon), but the internal architecture of the product itself is a no-no.

Probably shouldn't suggest how-to's for setting up stuff like ZFS or UnRAID, I don't have a system I can play around with... yet.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

New tutorial, sure!

Your tutorials are always a good read. I'll try and think of some ideas, at the moment, I got nothing.

Look forward to reading your new tutorial(s)

I recently (by which I mean today) finished up my semester in grad school, so I have a month to work on other stuff!

Anyone want a tutorial? By this I mean something that could be of use to everyone, or that people might find interesting. Not something to benefit you or possibly only a handful of people.

I have one in the works on storage networking, but leave new ideas in the comments.

Possible issues:

I can talk about the products I work with (Equallogic PS and FS at the moment, Compellent coming soon), but the internal architecture of the product itself is a no-no.

Probably shouldn't suggest how-to's for setting up stuff like ZFS or UnRAID, I don't have a system I can play around with... yet.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

How about a tutorial for everyone on what numbers in the SMART dump actually matter in determining if their hard drives are hosed. (way too many threads on "is my drive dead", and not one person listing a freaking SMART dump, till they're asked a ton of times)

Then the good old one drive vs pretty much any RAID for performance or lack there of. A one to one, so SSD then SSD in raid, HD then HD in RAID. I think many still don't get it.

Or, the real performance of having the OS on an SSD vs Not, as in a setup where the data/programs (that is to be used) is on a HD and OS on SSD, then the reverse, put the OS on the HD and the data/programs to be used on the SSD. Sometimes boot times are over rated when you are not constantly rebooting but are loading up data/programs to get the work done.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.