rigid compression fittings

this is my 1st time watercooling and i just started connecting some tubes together. so im using the Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Enhance Multi-Link For OD 16MM and a 16mm od petg from bitspower as well. the tube has some play in it and with some force i can pull it out even after clamping it down. is it supposed to have some play? and am i supposed to really push the tube in or is it designed to just sit on the fitting and held by the compression with the O ring?

it just feels like when the pumps starts to go its all gona fall apart :( might just be too overcautious, but i dont know what do you guys think?

11 minutes ago, Ghostypoo said:

this is my 1st time watercooling and i just started connecting some tubes together. so im using the Bitspower G1/4" Black Sparkle Enhance Multi-Link For OD 16MM and a 16mm od petg from bitspower as well. the tube has some play in it and with some force i can pull it out even after clamping it down. is it supposed to have some play? and am i supposed to really push the tube in or is it designed to just sit on the fitting and held by the compression with the O ring?

it just feels like when the pumps starts to go its all gona fall apart :( might just be too overcautious, but i dont know what do you guys think?

There should some tiny play on long runs, as time goes on the fittings will tighten due to the water and o-ring become more secure. The tiny runs will have almost no play to them.

Also make sure you dip the o-ring(s) into water before sealing them. Orings are inside the fitting and the lose one that sits inside the fitting in the compression head.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

5 hours ago, Revan654 said:

There should some tiny play on long runs, as time goes on the fittings will tighten due to the water and o-ring become more secure. The tiny runs will have almost no play to them.

Also make sure you dip the o-ring(s) into water before sealing them. Orings are inside the fitting and the lose one that sits inside the fitting in the compression head.

this might sound dumb but when placing the tube in the fitting do i need to really slide it it there or just a bit enough where it sticks but still movable?

On the specific fittings I have, the tube will insert about a centimeter (3/8") into the fitting after tightening. If you look down into the fitting with the tightening part removed there should be one to three O-rings, the tube should seat past all of them on a metal shoulder.

6 hours ago, Ghostypoo said:

this might sound dumb but when placing the tube in the fitting do i need to really slide it it there or just a bit enough where it sticks but still movable?

It's must come into contact with bottom of the fitting.

2 hours ago, Revan654 said:

It's must come into contact with bottom of the fitting.

so until i feel resistance?

7 hours ago, Ghostypoo said:

so until i feel resistance?

You can look down and see if it's flush against the fitting.

Also don't forget to chamfer the edges before trying to insert the tubing. If you don't you will likely tear up the O-Ring. Add some water to the O-Rings to help push pass them. If you still having problems in any way you can also use grease for O-Rings.

Should look like this when done:

Pr4CLsll.jpg

voy5g7tl.jpg?1

Finished Results:

q5BQJQol.jpg

If you look closely you can see the tubing is flush against the fitting.

12 hours ago, Revan654 said:

You can look down and see if it's flush against the fitting.

Also don't forget to chamfer the edges before trying to insert the tubing. If you don't you will likely tear up the O-Ring. Add some water to the O-Rings to help push pass them. If you still having problems in any way you can also use grease for O-Rings.

Should look like this when done:

Pr4CLsll.jpg

voy5g7tl.jpg?1

Finished Results:

q5BQJQol.jpg

If you look closely you can see the tubing is flush against the fitting.

ok so i think i know now what youre talking about i would have to get past through the o ring on the base of the fitting but i just tried it and it took quite some force and some cooking oil to get past that 1st inner o ring, and i im scared of damaging my fittings especially on my drain set up apply so much force. is there like a specific grease that works well for this and not harm my loop :(

10 hours ago, Ghostypoo said:

ok so i think i know now what youre talking about i would have to get past through the o ring on the base of the fitting but i just tried it and it took quite some force and some cooking oil to get past that 1st inner o ring, and i im scared of damaging my fittings especially on my drain set up apply so much force. is there like a specific grease that works well for this and not harm my loop :(

Any plumbing grease will work. your only putting it on the outside. if the edges are curved correctly it should slide in without much force. Try to twist it when inserting the tubing.

The fittings are copper/brass which is a very strong material. The worse you can do is strip the paint off.

This tool can help allot if you got a drill: https://www.primochill.com/collections/rigid-tools/products/primochill-rfb-rigid-tubing-finishing-bit-1-2in-id-x-5-8-in-od

It will deburr your tubing very quickly.

Also make sure your using Metric fittings and tubing. Don't mix and match. When it comes to hard tubing I like to use AlphaCool or Mayhem with Bitspower.

Btw, Mayhem is Glass, Which is what I use instead of acrylic.  I hate PETG completely, it has to many issues to worry about.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:14 AM, Revan654 said:

Any plumbing grease will work. your only putting it on the outside. if the edges are curved correctly it should slide in without much force. Try to twist it when inserting the tubing.

The fittings are copper/brass which is a very strong material. The worse you can do is strip the paint off.

This tool can help allot if you got a drill: https://www.primochill.com/collections/rigid-tools/products/primochill-rfb-rigid-tubing-finishing-bit-1-2in-id-x-5-8-in-od

It will deburr your tubing very quickly.

Also make sure your using Metric fittings and tubing. Don't mix and match. When it comes to hard tubing I like to use AlphaCool or Mayhem with Bitspower.

Btw, Mayhem is Glass, Which is what I use instead of acrylic.  I hate PETG completely, it has to many issues to worry about.

i wanted to use glass but would require a lot more fittings $$$$ just gona start of with petg to get a general idea of how it all works. so with the plumbing grease, can i apply a bit just on the o ring or do i grease the tube? not sure which one is best for decreasing contamination into the loop