GPU cost decrease.

Yazoofiend

I was wondering if anyone had any sort of idea when the whole bitcoin mining using gpus will end. I've been waiting for ages to get a good price when upgrading mine. I think it's Samsung whose rolling out CPU based mining products, but still anyone have any sort of idea when prices will normalize.

nothing on the horizon, thats for sure.. if they do, it likely won't be until Summer when a new card is launched if they don't end up in the same situation. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

nothing on the horizon, thats for sure.. if they do, it likely won't be until Summer when a new card is launched if they don't end up in the same situation. 

Well, that's disappointing depending on the pricing and the performance might just get the next 80 over the 1080ti then.

Nvidia says they will be stable or keep rising till Q3, but I don't think they will fall that much. Only if a new generation of GPUs comes out that's more efficent.

Bitcoin is nearly only mined with ASICS as far as I know, it's mostly the alt coins that keep the prices up. Also if a new generation it comes out there are in my opinion two possibilities. 1. They just expand with new GPUs and keep the old ones 2. The market will be full of old GPUs that will be bought by little minerz that can't afford the new ones 

At least that's what I think...they will come down sometimes but you can't really say when that's going to be

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

Gamersnexus has actually released some good content on this. Although some of the supply chain issues are coming from crypto mining, the larger factor is the global ram shortages. Everything I have heard is that prices will continue to stay high until the ram shortages are resolved. your best bet is to get on a mailing notification for a GPU in your price range from nvidia or EVGA's websites. From my experience higher end nvidia cards have a higher chance of coming available for their MSRP ( 1080 1080 Ti's). Both Nvidia and AMD have also said we should expect increases in MSRP due to increased BOM costs (~$25 more per memory module) form the ram shortages. 

Don’t see how someone would know that info. If they did, they would be rich peope and wouldn’t be on here. 

Dont think you’ve been waiting long if you haven’t got a card as there are plenty out there at “regular” prices. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Don’t see how someone would know that info. If they did, they would be rich peope and wouldn’t be on here. 

Dont think you’ve been waiting long if you haven’t got a card as there are plenty out there at “regular” prices. 

Ages was an exaggerating, but I've been waiting a good 4 or 5 months longer than I wanted. I have a GTX 1070 and I want to upgrade to at 1080Ti, they've increased drastically in price. And someone who knows more about coin mining and how it works along with the hardware evolution inside of it could make a rough estimation at a time when card prices for ones that are currently popular choices for mining will normalize to around original MSRP.

1 minute ago, Yazoofiend said:

Ages was an exaggerating, but I've been waiting a good 4 or 5 months longer than I wanted. I have a GTX 1070 and I want to upgrade to at 1080Ti, they've increased drastically in price. And someone who knows more about coin mining and how it works along with the hardware evolution inside of it could make a rough estimation at a time when card prices for ones that are currently popular choices for mining will normalize to around original MSRP.

Pretty sure move manufactures sell theirs for around msrp. Which would be your best bet. Only took me 2 weeks to get mine online. But as they were at regular price 3 months ago, I don’t see the issue. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Pretty sure move manufactures sell theirs for around msrp. Which would be your best bet. Only took me 2 weeks to get mine online. But as they were at regular price 3 months ago, I don’t see the issue. 

PC part picker (prices in Canadian) https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=390 shows 1080Ti prices on some gpu's up in the 1.5ks and ones that were once 900 - 1000 now 1.1k.

1 minute ago, Yazoofiend said:

PC part picker (prices in Canadian) https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=390 shows 1080Ti prices on some gpu's up in the 1.5ks and ones that were once 900 - 1000 now 1.1k.

Not talking about some vendor. I said manufacture, as in on evga’s website, or who ever you prefer assuming they sell directly. Unless they started selling then high which I doubt. 

the thing to notice is that the price hike only happened when it got more widespread in normy media that bitcoin was happening. they where late to the party and they don't really know what they're doing. so until the next hurricane hits it's probably not going to change.

I think when new cards come out those won't be affected for a bit because all the articles and guides won't have those in them. but that's until that catches up too.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Not talking about some vendor. I said manufacture, as in on evga’s website, or who ever you prefer assuming they sell directly. Unless they started selling then high which I doubt. 

Let me check. I've never really bought anything manufacturer direct, so never really thought about it.

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yeah, these are definitely better prices, the problem is that not all manufacturers seem to sell them through their own websites. MSI for instance.

2 minutes ago, Yazoofiend said:

Yeah, these are definitely better prices, the problem is that not all manufacturers seem to sell them through their own websites. MSI for instance.

Simple fix, don’t by Msi. Trash coolers and looks most of the time. 

39 minutes ago, Yazoofiend said:

I was wondering if anyone had any sort of idea when the whole bitcoin mining using gpus will end. I've been waiting for ages to get a good price when upgrading mine. I think it's Samsung whose rolling out CPU based mining products, but still anyone have any sort of idea when prices will normalize.

Bitcoin mining isn't the issue, but rather coins like Ethereum. It's not clear when the availability issues will subside, but don't expect a quick fix.