Buying used

shea99

So in the summer i plan on upgrading my system.

Now i personally know a miner and hes a stand up guy, and he has said that he might be looking to sell a few cards in the summer. Ive personally seen his rig and it is kept in a cool room with ample spacing between the cards so i know that they arent all cramped together. Now the cards he has are a mixture of RX 580's, which he has only recently acquired and i know that he is bios flashing them, 1070's and 1080's. Now i know he would also do me a good deal on the cards, but i just wanted some opinions on wether it is worth the risk or to just buy new, and at would cost for the card would you say the risk is out weighed. Like i said hed do me a good deal but i just want some more opinions. The gpu market may be stable by the summer aswell which would obviously affect the decision aswell as i would expect to pay even less if i can get a new card for cheaper then. Any help is much appreciated

If it is run in a cool room and has been downvolted it is no more damaging than gaming, so i would buy them

Should be no issues.

But ask urself.. As a PC user, a gamer... Do you really want 'help' a miner by buying his card .. they are the reason we are all suffering from the GPU price hikes.

i supose its down to personal principals, but if it were me, unless it was ridiculously good deal..and i mean ridiculously good! .. i wouldnt buy it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

Should be no issues.

But ask urself.. As a PC user, a gamer... Do you really want 'help' a miner by buying his card .. they are the reason we are all suffering from the GPU price hikes.

i supose its down to personal principals, but if it were me, unless it was ridiculously good deal..and i mean ridiculously good! .. i wouldnt buy it.

Yea the deal will be good and personally while mining has ruined the market, you cant really blame them and i have no personal gripe with them. They have every right to buy and its the lack of response from gpu manufacturers that has caused the hiked prices as demand rised and supply stayed the same.

11 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

If it is run in a cool room and has been downvolted it is no more damaging than gaming, so i would buy them

I would have to ask specifics like that but like i said i personally know him and hes a stand up guy so hed tell me exactly what hes done with them. The question therefore lies, 580, 1070 or 1080. im more inclined to the 1070/80 depending on the price as the 580's i know will be bios flashed, not that thats a problem but would be better if not 

I would. Already have too. Dont care how it was ran aslong as it’s clean. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz