Refurbished am3 processor issues

SuGzY

So recently I bought a used Inspiron 570 and I got a new power supply, graphics card, and a new CPU for it. When it came to upgrading my pc I ran into an issue. I placed the refurbished CPU (AMD Athlon x4 640)  into the motherboard along with my new power supply and graphics card. The computer turned on but nothing displayed on my screen. It wasn't a graphics card issue because I also plugged the monitor into my motherboard and nothing was displaying it either. I took out the x4 640 and put the Athlon 250 back in and it turned on and the screen received a signal. I tried reseating the CPU to see if I sat it wrong but still, nothing came on the screen. The motherboard is a dell 04gjj motherboard. I was told that I should update the bios and I have checked and the bios is a few months later than the most recent bios upgrade. I haven't done the bios update yet and I was wondering if there is something else that I might need to do or if I have to update the bios. I am aware that the CPU might be defective.

3 minutes ago, SuGzY said:

So recently I bought a used Inspiron 570 and I got a new power supply, graphics card, and a new CPU for it. When it came to upgrading my pc I ran into an issue. I placed the refurbished CPU (AMD Athlon x4 640)  into the motherboard along with my new power supply and graphics card. The computer turned on but nothing displayed on my screen. It wasn't a graphics card issue because I also plugged the monitor into my motherboard and nothing was displaying it either. I took out the x4 640 and put the Athlon 250 back in and it turned on and the screen received a signal. I tried reseating the CPU to see if I sat it wrong but still, nothing came on the screen. The motherboard is a dell 04gjj motherboard. I was told that I should update the bios and I have checked and the bios is a few months later than the most recent bios upgrade. I haven't done the bios update yet and I was wondering if there is something else that I might need to do or if I have to update the bios. I am aware that the CPU might be defective.

Do you have the original CPU? I'd try updating the BIOS and see if that resolves the issue.

Just double checking, but you used thermal paste?

Indeed, I did use thermal paste. I am currently using the original CPU.

Just now, SuGzY said:

Indeed, I did use thermal paste.

Try using your original CPU to flash the BIOS, it could be that the motherboard BIOS does not support your new CPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

@Crunchy Dragon I tried to update the BIOS but when I tried to run the BIOS file it said it was the same version but msinfo32 says the date of the BIOS is 3/29/2012 and the Dell Support BIOS upgrade was released 07 July 2012

Just now, SuGzY said:

@Crunchy Dragon I tried to update the BIOS but when I tried to run the BIOS file it said it was the same version but msinfo32 says the date of the BIOS is 3/29/2012 and the Dell Support BIOS upgrade was released 07 July 2012

Hmm. You may have reached the end of the road then if it's running the latest BIOS.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, SuGzY said:

@Crunchy Dragon Ouch. Thanks for your help!

No problem!

Welcome to the forums! Another thing you could try is getting a board that definitely supports your new CPU, as long as it'll fit in your case. Dell loves their proprietary form factors...

you may try to get an Phenom II x4 965 BE as far as I can see on google, there are few threads where people are claiming they have successfully upgraded their Inspiron 570.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Confirmed-CPU-support-for-Inspiron-570/m-p/3839776

btw, seems like this time, dell used standard mATX form factor

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No problem!

Welcome to the forums! Another thing you could try is getting a board that definitely supports your new CPU, as long as it'll fit in your case. Dell loves their proprietary form factors...

Holy crap yes Dell does. HP as well. And Lenovo does too (at least on their low end boards). It is super annoying. @SuGzY, have you tried clearing CMOS?  There might also be a way to force the BIOS update to reflash and see if that helps. You'd need the BIOS on a USB and boot to BIOS and force it manually. Otherwise, you might want to look for a friend who can test the CPU to make sure it works. Or find another board and give it a shot. I generally stay away from "refurb" just because I'm leary, but I understand budget concerns as well.