New Android Game Designer.Help Needed :)

M.Abdullah

So I am a new game developer and was wondering if you guys could help me out.i've made games during game jams so i know how to use my resources.however i think taking help from seniors should help me in my first public game.i am designing for a touch screen so what suggestions do you have what genre should i go with and i heard on the Extra Credits Youtube channel that making games for touch screen should only use one hand and not two is this the case or nah?

Using Unreal Engine.

What kind of game you are making? Also comparing to Unity 3D, I've heard unity 3D is much more mobile friendly/optimized, so I'd be careful with large scale projects.

11 hours ago, Mykie said:

What kind of game you are making? Also comparing to Unity 3D, I've heard unity 3D is much more mobile friendly/optimized, so I'd be careful with large scale projects.

i was thining about  fps or a thord person shooter.but now 3d side scroller or top down 3d shooter seems more of a better idea.i have had better experiences with unreal so i am using that.i find unity a bit difficult

If you're more comfortable in Unreal, stick with that. Unity historically has been stronger on the mobile front but Unreal has stepped up their game the last few years. Looks at the games you enjoy playing on mobile and go from there. It's best to stick to genres and styles of games you yourself would enjoy. A 3D side scroller or top down 3D shooter sound reasonable. Keeping the game in one perspective should allow you to limit the detail on the art, amount of art assets to keep the game reasonable in scope. It would also allow you to incorporate 2d objects (textured planes) to further simplify the art. You need to go low poly on and keep the art assets and effects down to hit a reasonable FPS on mobile.     

As far as one hand vs. two hand controls, I would say if you want your game to appeal to mainstream, yes it probably needs to be playable with one hand, and ideally just with one finger. However if you have a great idea that would require two handed controls, don't consider that a hard and fast rule.