PC not posting with USB power for speakers plugged in

jimmy1516

Having a really strange problem.

I have a set of USB powered speakers that  I use with my PC, when plugged in my PC doesn't post.

As soon as I unplug the speakers the system posts and boots. When I was rifling around in bios to see if I could find a solution I also discovered that if I plug the speakers in while in bios it completely locks up until they're unplugged again, and then continues as if nothing ever happened.

I find this really confusing, since as far as I know that USB connection carries no data, only power.

Motherboard is an MSI X370 SLI Plus and the bios is up to date, speakers are Logitech Z211 (I think).

USB speakers usually share ground connection between USB port and 3.5mm JACK. But sometimes it can also leak positive connection and then what happens is that usb is shorting your soundcard thus activating short protection and not letting computer to boot.

Throw them away and buy new ones that aren't usb powered.

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

1 minute ago, LordMMX said:

USB speakers usually share ground connection between USB port and 3.5mm JACK. But sometimes it can also leak positive connection and then what happens is that usb is shorting your soundcard thus activating short protection and not letting computer to boot.

Throw them away and buy new ones that aren't usb powered.

Well throwing them away isn't really an option, since I am (sadly) not made of money. So for troubleshooting sake with that, I should see the same results unplugging the 3.5 jack as the USB?

unplug 3.5mm jack and keep usb plugged in and try if computer posts. if it does not, then there is a short inside speakers on USB wire. 

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

16 minutes ago, LordMMX said:

unplug 3.5mm jack and keep usb plugged in and try if computer posts. if it does not, then there is a short inside speakers on USB wire. 

Still no boot with USB plugged in and 3.5mm disconnected. Also boots with 3.5mm plugged in and USB powered by a phone charger, so I'm afraid your theory is not it.

Thanks though.

Do you have another usb device to test in that socket?

Is "boot by usb drive" turned on in Bios?

Is there a bent pin/broken pin in the usb socket?

Thanks, TB.