Ryzen Build Odd Behavior

mikimarczyk

So this isn't the first time this is happened to my system (look at my previous post), I don't know what is causing this problem but I'm starting to think I'm going to need a new motherboard. I went to turn on my pc today (https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/wtYvwV) and it went into a boot loop with no display output. Gpu lit up, cpu fan started spinning and my case fans started spinning. But my case fans LED's started to dim and get brighter, I think this happens with every attempt to boot as it happens every second or so (These fans are the stock ones with the case and are just normal 3pin fans). I immediately think it is either the psu or mobo giving uneven power or something but while sprinting to google and leaving my pc in the loop, the asrock logo flashes and then back to a black screen, next time the fans lights dim I get a post and I'm straight into windows. 

Additionally to this my gpu driver got absolutely destroyed today (before this) and I had to try many many many times to get into safe mode to ddu it. I don't know whats wrong with my system but i've reseated everything (apart from cpu) and problems like this still occur. Also, with everything plugged in properly, the smallest tap of my desk (which my pc is on) can make my screen go black instantly crashing any 3D application. (I have ensured the pcie slot is properly latched and that BOTH screws are in holding the gpu) 

Make sure all your power cables are snug at both ends.  Makes sure you aren't shorting something somewhere in your build (check standoffs, screws, etc.).  If you tap your desk and that causes an issue, that could be loose power cables or some type of short perhaps.  Might want to consider tearing the system down and test parts individually, considering vibration is all it takes to crash your system.

i'd check ram first honestly. this seems more like boot looping the post because of not perfectly stable settings on the ram or CPU. but idk what you're running

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

2 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

i'd check ram first honestly. this seems more like boot looping the post because of not perfectly stable settings on the ram or CPU. but idk what you're running

Ram is at its stock XMP setting and cpu is stable at 3.9ghz (overnight stress test) and also this has happened before I overclocked.

2 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Make sure all your power cables are snug at both ends.  Makes sure you aren't shorting something somewhere in your build (check standoffs, screws, etc.).  If you tap your desk and that causes an issue, that could be loose power cables or some type of short perhaps.  Might want to consider tearing the system down and test parts individually, considering vibration is all it takes to crash your system.

If it was a short wouldn't the whole system turn off and not just appear black for 1-5 seconds?

11 hours ago, mikimarczyk said:

Ram is at its stock XMP setting and cpu is stable at 3.9ghz (overnight stress test) and also this has happened before I overclocked.

Xmp is an overclock and its not always stable. You can either tone it down manually or add some voltage to SoC (could also be marked nb voltage) 

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

If it was a short wouldn't the whole system turn off and not just appear black for 1-5 seconds?

It usually would, I had a short due to using a sata power cable from an EVGA psu on an XFX psu and the computer would turn on for about 3-5 seconds then shut itself off but I did fry a 500GB HDD from this... make sure you are using all the original cables with the PSU no sleeves etc to rule out power delivery.

Turn off XMP none of them have ever been stable for 24/7 use on my two ryzen systems..  Unless you bought the "Ryzen" Specific ram kit that also happens to be 100% tested and compatible with your MOBO at the rated speeds..

Run your ram at the default settings of 2133Mhz and see how stable it is you really wont loose to much performance.

I remember watching a video that unless your running a really high end GPU ram speed from 2133 ---> 3200 is hardly an improvement...  Not all XMP settings work with ryzen platforms some of them are meant for intel mobo/cpu combos if you got the wrong kit. 

I personally just manually set my ram speeds to 2933 and change DRAM voltage to 1.35 leaving all timings and other settings in auto and I have had a stable system for as long as I can remember.

good luck!

16 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

It usually would, I had a short due to using a sata power cable from an EVGA psu on an XFX psu and the computer would turn on for about 3-5 seconds then shut itself off but I did fry a 500GB HDD from this... make sure you are using all the original cables with the PSU no sleeves etc to rule out power delivery.

Turn off XMP none of them have ever been stable for 24/7 use on my two ryzen systems..  Unless you bought the "Ryzen" Specific ram kit that also happens to be 100% tested and compatible with your MOBO at the rated speeds..

Run your ram at the default settings of 2133Mhz and see how stable it is you really wont loose to much performance.

I remember watching a video that unless your running a really high end GPU ram speed from 2133 ---> 3200 is hardly an improvement...  Not all XMP settings work with ryzen platforms some of them are meant for intel mobo/cpu combos if you got the wrong kit. 

I personally just manually set my ram speeds to 2933 and change DRAM voltage to 1.35 leaving all timings and other settings in auto and I have had a stable system for as long as I can remember.

good luck!

Im using a pretty standard psu, but its by a reputable brand (corsair), no cable extensions and I dont see how there could be a short anywhere as all the extra psu cables are tucked in the back nicely. My mobo QVL has my specific kit on it, I'll still change the ram back to 2133 but I dont see how this would cause my system not to output to display but still appear on (lights up and all that), then again this is my first build. Thank you for your reply :)

36 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Xmp is an overclock and its not always stable. You can either tone it down manually or add some voltage to SoC (could also be marked nb voltage) 

In the stock XMP profile it was 2666 with 1.25V and I didn't think thats enough (but it worked), I still changed it to 1.35V as every video I've seen says 1.35V is where you want to be. Thanks for the replies though :)

2 minutes ago, mikimarczyk said:

Im using a pretty standard psu, but its by a reputable brand (corsair), no cable extensions and I dont see how there could be a short anywhere as all the extra psu cables are tucked in the back nicely. My mobo QVL has my specific kit on it, I'll still change the ram back to 2133 but I dont see how this would cause my system not to output to display but still appear on (lights up and all that), then again this is my first build. Thank you for your reply :)

Yeah if its a non modular PSU then don't worry about the cables as long as the ones you need are in the correct place and seated well.  Check them all I had two cables going into my GPU and one was ever so slightly unplugged causing issues...

If you don't have anything to important on the computer have you thought about doing a fresh windows install?

With all the GPU driver installs/uninstalls etc you may have over lapped some drivers causing the problem..

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version?

1 hour ago, mikimarczyk said:

In the stock XMP profile it was 2666 with 1.25V and I didn't think thats enough (but it worked), I still changed it to 1.35V as every video I've seen says 1.35V is where you want to be. Thanks for the replies though :)

voltage to the memory controller not the dimms. that's the dimm's voltage

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

17 hours ago, mikimarczyk said:

If it reboots several times and then comes back and works fine, then I would say memory timings as the board tries to learn and reset.  You said you tap on your desk and your screen goes black and your application crashes.  If your system is not shutting off entirely, then it might not be a short.  If your graphics card is dropping offline, then it might be a power issue, cabling to the card issue, something like that.  That simply isn't normal behavior to be that sensitive to vibration damage.