Enough power for 290s

Digital Kaos

I'm worried that I skimped out too much on my psu, with this setup can I get modest to moderate overclocks on my cpu and gpus?

Cpu: 4770k

Mobo: Maximus VI Gene

Gpus: 2x R9 290

Psu: RM 850

Storage: 500gb 840 Evo

Fans: 5x Gentle Typhoon AP-14

Pump: EK DDC 3.2 PMW

Thank you for your time

The psu is more than enough for you to go crazy with whatever overclocks you'd like.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Title answer: Yes. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

The psu is more than enough for you to go crazy with whatever overclocks you'd like.

That's a very comfortable size PSU for that rig.

Title answer: Yes. 

Thank you, some reviews I read made me wonder, they were recommending 800 as a minimum for crossfire 290s

Thank you, some reviews I read made me wonder, they were recommending 800 as a minimum for crossfire 290s

They over-recommend in case you have a crappy psu. They don't want you running to them in that case as customer service costs a lot to fund.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

More than enough. I'm running similar config. (well last gen.)

Sick build! I wish it didn't cost $100 for the red cable kit :/

They over-recommend in case you have a crappy psu. They don't want you running to them in that case as customer service costs a lot to fund.

Ahh, well that would make sense, thank you!

Okay more than enough is a bit of a stretch.  It's enough and will probably be running at peak efficiency but closer to 90%.

R9-290: 280 (OC around 300)

I7-4770K: 84 (OC around 125)

That's 725 now add in your extra's, fans, mobo ram and pump and that's about 75w give or take.

That puts you at around 800W under load, so you only have about 50W of head room give or take factoring in OC.

Okay more than enough is a bit of a stretch.  It's enough and will probably be running at peak efficiency but closer to 90%.

That's 725 now add in your extra's, fans, mobo ram and pump and that's about 75w give or take.

That puts you at around 800W under load, so you only have about 50W of head room give or take factoring in OC.

I would have considered something with more wattage if I hadn't already bought it but since what I have is enough I don't think I'll worry about it.

This is only if everything in the system is running at 100% load and drawing at the theoretical maximum power draw.

To be blunt, that's not going to happen. 

True but he doesn't have a ton of room left. I'd he's gaming hard the gpus will pull 300w each. Cpu and the rest it depends on the game.

True but he doesn't have a ton of room left. I'd he's gaming hard the gpus will pull 300w each. Cpu and the rest it depends on the game.

Gaming is not likely to push either cards near 100%.

Gaming is not likely to push either cards near 100%.

Skyrim oon 3 1440p monitorswith high res texture packs says hi :)

Skyrim oon 3 1440p monitorswith high res texture packs says hi :)

Even two 290's would struggle with that resolution regardless of the psu.