GPU Upgrade

JoeMonsta

So I have a 1050 ti and am looking for an upgrade. I was going to get a 1060 6GB but because of the market right now I don't think that's a good option. I was looking into getting a gtx 980 off eBay, but I have some questions.

1. Is a 980 a good upgrade

2. Is there a different better card I should look for around $320

3. Should I wait for VEGA

(sorry meant Volta)

1. Its an improvement, not not a worthy one, you may as well stay where you are.

2. There's nothing decent at $320 now.

3. Vega has been out for months.

I would advise against upgrading. The market right now is terrible and your current card isn't exactly low end, so you should be fine until the market stabilises.

If you are lucky you can get a 980 ti for around 350 on ebay, about the same performance as a 1070

Vega already released

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Don't buy old stuff.

If you're going to be playing at 1080p you won't need to upgrade for a while, upgrade to the 1060 not worth the money and the 1070 is overkill. You shoukld have bought the 1060 in the first place.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

20 minutes ago, JoeMonsta said:

So I have a 1050 ti and am looking for an upgrade. I was going to get a 1060 6GB but because of the market right now I don't think that's a good option. I was looking into getting a gtx 980 off eBay, but I have some questions.

(sorry meant Volta)

I wouldn't upgrade that, but I wouldn't be acting like these aren't good cards like everyone else. 9 series cards are still very capable cards and are actually priced really well used right now if you know how to work an auction.

It's just that it wouldn't be worth buying one seeing as you already have a 1050ti.

If it were someone with anything older though, I would wholeheartedly recommend one.

54 minutes ago, JoeMonsta said:

(sorry meant Volta)

I saw some rumours for next nvidia series 20xx. If this is true the 2080 and 2070 will be releases this april or may. Just rumours tho

33 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I wouldn't upgrade that, but I wouldn't be acting like these aren't good cards like everyone else. 9 series cards are still very capable cards and are actually priced really well used right now if you know how to work an auction.

It's just that it wouldn't be worth buying one seeing as you already have a 1050ti.

If it were someone with anything older though, I would wholeheartedly recommend one.

Really, I thought the 980 would be around 1060 performance? Thanks for the help!

40 minutes ago, DSD27 said:

Don't buy old stuff.

If you're going to be playing at 1080p you won't need to upgrade for a while, upgrade to the 1060 not worth the money and the 1070 is overkill. You shoukld have bought the 1060 in the first place.

Didn’t have the budget for a 1060 at the time.

2 minutes ago, JoeMonsta said:

Didn’t have the budget for a 1060 at the time.

Totally understandable.

Wait for Volta, and when you buy a new one, also upgrade your monitor to 1440p 27"+, totally worth it ;)

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

7 minutes ago, DSD27 said:

Totally understandable.

Wait for Volta, and when you buy a new one, also upgrade your monitor to 1440p 27"+, totally worth it ;)

Cool, will do! Thanks for your help!

20 minutes ago, JoeMonsta said:

Really, I thought the 980 would be around 1060 performance? Thanks for the help!

Oh, it'd be an upgrade. Just not enough of one to be worth it.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Oh, it'd be an upgrade. Just not enough of one to be worth it.

Ok good to know.

2 hours ago, JoeMonsta said:

(sorry meant Volta)

Volta isn't being released for another couple of years (at least for gamers). The 2000 series being released in april/may is ampere based, and ampere is a pascal refresh. I got a 980 and 1060, and while I would have prefered a 1060/580 I am satisfied by the 980

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

12 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

Volta isn't being released for another couple of years (at least for gamers). The 2000 series being released in april/may is ampere based, and ampere is a pascal refresh. I got a 980 and 1060, and while I would have prefered a 1060/580 I am satisfied by the 980

LOL nvidia insider here people