PG258Q Out of Range

Matthew2989

My screen goes black when playing a few select games (CS:GO and Escape From Tarkov) and it comes back with a Out of Range message and then goes black again this keeps cycling on and off til i close the game or tab out this started happening when i got my new monitor (PG258Q).  Also this only happens on my main monitor showing the game and not my second monitor. The issue temporarily goes away when i restart the system but keeps coming back every now and then. 

specs.

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Expedition OC

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz 2x8GB 16GB

ASUS B150M Pro Gaming, Socket-1151

WD Desktop Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 6GB/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, Dual processor

Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Prosessor

Cooler Master B600 VER.2, 600W PSU

Asus 24.5" LED G-Sync ROG Swift PG258Q

Asus 24" LED VN247H

change your video settings in game, specifically the resolution and if you have an option for it, refresh rate.

if you cant change the resolution because the game wont load, your going to have to goto the configuration files and change it manually

2 minutes ago, ElSeniorTaco said:

change your video settings in game, specifically the resolution and if you have an option for it, refresh rate.

if you cant change the resolution because the game wont load, your going to have to goto the configuration files and change it manually

i have tried changing resolution it doesnt do anything. The only thing that stops it is either restarting my pc or playing windowed or windowed fs.

Sounds like the resolution is too high or too low or a refresh rate problem, these are about the only thing that causes this issue.

Playing in windowed mode kinda backs this up as your using the resolution that windows uses and not the game's resolution.

Have you tried manually setting the resolutions in the game's ini files, instead of using the in game settings to do it?

Assuming you are using steam, does the game have any boot options put in, if so what are they.

56 minutes ago, ElSeniorTaco said:

Sounds like the resolution is too high or too low or a refresh rate problem, these are about the only thing that causes this issue.

Playing in windowed mode kinda backs this up as your using the resolution that windows uses and not the game's resolution.

Have you tried manually setting the resolutions in the game's ini files, instead of using the in game settings to do it?

Assuming you are using steam, does the game have any boot options put in, if so what are they.

From the troubleshooting ive done i dont think its a resolution problem. I dont know how to troubleshoot issues with the Refresh rate though and the only boot options i have is on CS:GO and its just to change the language to English. 

I would start by unplugging the second monitor and then seeing if the issue comes up again

as for refresh rate, csgo chooses the same refresh rate that windows uses, you can change that by adding a boot option -freq 60 for example

you can try that for the refresh rate, but i would start with unplugging the second monitor then trying the -freq option

also, what is your main monitor's resolution set to in windows?

1 minute ago, ElSeniorTaco said:

I would start by unplugging the second monitor and then seeing if the issue comes up again

as for refresh rate, csgo chooses the same refresh rate that windows uses, you can change that by adding a boot option -freq 60 for example

you can try that for the refresh rate, but i would start with unplugging the second monitor then trying the -freq option

also, what is your main monitor's resolution set to in windows?

Both monitors are 1920x1080 main is 240Hz second is 60Hz Main is 24.5 inches second is 24 inches last time it happened i checked that windows had the right refresh rate and it did.

ah so one of the cool 240hz monitors

you can try the launch options with all of that set

-w 1920 -h 1080 -refresh 240

or

-w 1920 -h 1080 -refresh 60

I think both will work

obviously you want to use 240 if it works as its probably better

but the 60hz option I posted will be a useful test if the 240hz option doesnt for what ever reason

also, post the model number of the main monitor, so i can look up specs and manuals, see if there are any odd quirks we have to keep in mind

ah so one of the cool 240hz monitors

you can try the launch options with all of that set

or

-w 1920 -h 1080 -refresh 60

I think both will work

obviously you want to use 240 if it works as its probably better

but the 60hz option I posted will be a useful test if the 240hz option doesnt for what ever reason

I will try it the next time it happens.

ok, if it doesnt work next time, post the model number of the monitor so i can look up manuals, see if there is any odd quirks that we have to keep in mind when using 240hz for gaming

not sure there will be any, but always worth it giving the manual a once over

22 minutes ago, ElSeniorTaco said:

ok, if it doesnt work next time, post the model number of the monitor so i can look up manuals, see if there is any odd quirks that we have to keep in mind when using 240hz for gaming

not sure there will be any, but always worth it giving the manual a once over

full model name would be ROG SWIFT PG258Q i guess and number is 90LM0360-B01370 i think.

oh duhh its in the post name :P sorry

did you try the boot options?

The problem isnt constant it usually happens after my PC has been on for a day or two and i restarted my PC when i posted this thread to temporarily fix the issue so i will have to wait to see if it works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.2.2018 at 4:25 AM, ElSeniorTaco said:

ah ok, let us know how it turns out

it's been a lot longer than usual but it finally happened and 

On 11.2.2018 at 3:56 AM, Matthew2989 said:

didnt work with CS:GO

• 2 months later...

Hey man, I seem to be having the exact problem you're having!

Just in case you were wondering.....  I have RMA'd my monitor, and my graphics card, I have tried HDMI, DPort and DVI, and still have the issue.  

If you have found anything that fixes the issue I'd really appreciate it! 

• 2 months later...
On 21.5.2018 at 6:17 PM, pjdizzy said:

Hey man, I seem to be having the exact problem you're having!

Just in case you were wondering.....  I have RMA'd my monitor, and my graphics card, I have tried HDMI, DPort and DVI, and still have the issue.  

If you have found anything that fixes the issue I'd really appreciate it! 

It comes and goes with me happens a lot less now though but it used to be almost constantly. I haven't been able to figure out the cause though.