GPU always at 100% load

MaorRX

I have an RX 580 and i wanted to mine with it. Problem is whenever I mine with gpu for any currency. etherum, Turtlecoin, etc and then stop miner the gpu load still stays at 100%. This is not a mining virus since i have tried many different miner, and all of them did this and this gpu 100% load only happeens when i try to mine, and then stop?(When i restart pc or change in amd GPU settings from compute mode to graphics mode this problem stops)

Ran gpu stresss test and whenever i stop stress test gpu load goes to 0?

what is wrong with my mining settings???

2 minutes ago, MaorRX said:

I have an RX 580 and i wanted to mine with it. Problem is whenever I mine with gpu for any currency. etherum, Turtlecoin, etc and then stop miner the gpu load still stays at 100%. This is not a mining virus since i have tried many different miner, and all of them did this and this gpu 100% load only happeens when i try to mine, and then stop?(When i restart pc or change in amd GPU settings from compute mode to graphics mode this problem stops)

Ran gpu stresss test and whenever i stop stress test gpu load goes to 0?

what is wrong with my mining settings???

So far i have ran claymore ethurm miner and tried mining for turtle coin with xmar stack, and all of them caused the same issue?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does the power and temps go down when your not mining? seems like a bug with usage and everything is fine.

Nope it is not a bug with gpu, still stays warm, fans on gpu still continue running even when they are supposed to stop when gpu is not underload?

19 minutes ago, MaorRX said:

Nope it is not a bug with gpu, still stays warm, fans on gpu still continue running even when they are supposed to stop when gpu is not underload?

Yeah sounds like not a bug.

When you close the miner software, check the task manager. See if it's still running. That could be a tell.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

Yeah sounds like not a bug.

When you close the miner software, check the task manager. See if it's still running. That could be a tell.

Ya i cant find it, the wierd things is  that it happens in every miner, and when i reload driver the gpu load stops?

I dont know i cant find miner in task manager?

Also windows taskbar gpu load thing does not detect any load, only msi afterburner and GPU Z, Hwinfo64 and all 3d party tools that can detect the gpu load?

Just now, MaorRX said:

Ya i cant find it, the wierd things is  that it happens in every miner, and when i reload driver the gpu load stops?

Every miner will do this - stop after you refresh the driver. That's because restarting stops OpenCL and the program doesn't know to restart it so keep attempting to mine, but without the API active, thus not actually placing a load on your graphics.

Here's where the miner software should be located in Task Manager:

image.png.43d61fbe0112eed1ddc5f5e8064c60c2.png

Click go to details on the miner you're using, close the command prompt window, and see if the program (ethminer in this case) stays up.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Every miner will do this - stop after you refresh the driver. That's because restarting stops OpenCL and the program doesn't know to restart it so keep attempting to mine, but without the API active, thus not actually placing a load on your graphics.

Here's where the miner software should be located in Task Manager:

image.png.43d61fbe0112eed1ddc5f5e8064c60c2.png

Click go to details on the miner you're using, close the command prompt window, and see if the program (ethminer in this case) stays up.

Unfortunately i check taskbar when i stop the miner, the windows command processor, console window host, ethminer and window command proccesor shuts off shuts off all of these processes and gpu utilization is still 100%

5 minutes ago, MaorRX said:

Unfortunately i check taskbar when i stop the miner, the windows command processor, console window host, ethminer and window command proccesor shuts off shuts off all of these processes and gpu utilization is still 100%

Also if you keep miner on for like a min, it will probably stop load when you shut down miner, but if you keep it on for like 2min plus and you shut it down this happens

The actual usage is staying there or just the clocks are staying there?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

The actual usage is staying there or just the clocks are staying there?

I think the pic I posted with GPU Z has the clocks, I dont think the clocks go up, but temp stays high. The fans dont want to stop spinning?

Just now, MaorRX said:

I think the pic I posted with GPU Z has the clocks, I dont think the clocks go up, but temp stays high. The fans dont want to stop spinning?

Ok didn’t see that picture at first. I’ve never had that issue, don’t remeber if that happened with claymore or not. I always restart after mining if I want to do something with that pc. 

I know nicehash isn’t doing it to mine either. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, MaorRX said:

51C is not a high temperature especially on an RX 580. I feel like it is a bug after all also because if it was still mining, memory would not be down to 300MHz, rather it would detect the load and keep it at 2000+.

My RX 480 idles at 60C, that's when the fans kick in so usually around 60-62C.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

51C is not a high temperature especially on an RX 580. I feel like it is a bug after all also because if it was still mining, memory would not be down to 300MHz, rather it would detect the load and keep it at 2000+.

My RX 480 idles at 60C, that's when the fans kick in so usually around 60-62C.

When my gpu idels it sits at  37 celcius,without fans even running, and when i run a stress test it goes to around 72 and fans start, and when i stop stress test the  temps go back down to 37, and fan stops???

Also the VDDC power draw and GPU only power draw is way higher then it usually is at idle?

9 minutes ago, MaorRX said:

When my gpu idels it sits at  37 celcius,without fans even running, and when i run a stress test it goes to around 72 and fans start, and when i stop stress test the  temps go back down to 37, and fan stops???

Also GPU core clock stays at 1365mhz core clock when at idle, after restarting pc at idle it sits at around 300mhz

11 minutes ago, MaorRX said:

Gotcha

Just now, MaorRX said:

Also GPU core clock stays at 1365mhz core clock when at idle, after restarting pc at idle it sits at around 300mhz

Yeah this suggests that it is being loaded. But it's such a weird problem.

Have you tried running DDU and reinstalling the driver? If that doesn't work you may have to clean reinstall windows

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Gotcha

Yeah this suggests that it is being loaded. But it's such a weird problem.

Have you tried running DDU and reinstalling the driver? If that doesn't work you may have to clean reinstall windows

Yep I did I tried rebooting into safemode and then using DDU to uninstall driver and then Reinstalling Drivers, this did not fix it. I also tried an older driver it did no fix it (Currently using latest 18.2.1) I also tried to reinstall windows?

Just now, MaorRX said:

I also tried to reinstall windows?

Did you?

If you did, would you be comfortable flashing another BIOS? It's like, the last point of failure I can think of.

I've flashed my GPU BIOS time and time again, without damage to the card. I survived a bad flash even, by booting into iGPU and reflashing. I'd understand if you don't want to do it though.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Did you?

If you did, would you be comfortable flashing another BIOS? It's like, the last point of failure I can think of.

I've flashed my GPU BIOS time and time again, without damage to the card. I survived a bad flash even, by booting into iGPU and reflashing. I'd understand if you don't want to do it though.

I am a little worried to do that, will think about it. If I will be comfortable with doing this, can you recommend me what bios to use with this My GPU the https://www.amazon.ca/Gigabyte-AORUS-Radeon-Graphic-GV-RX580AORUS-8GD/dp/B06Y46X4L9