Ryzen Overclocking Help

Hey smart people! 

Specs
Gigabyte AX370 K7 Gaming
Ryzen 7 1700

I'm fairly new to overclocking, I understand most but there is still one question I cannot seem to find an answer for. 

If I do a quick overclock in the bios (3.9ghz @ 1.3v ) my processor stays locked at that frequency no matter how much load I put on it.
If I use an application to overclock (Ryzen Master or Gigabyte Easy Tuner) the processor will boost up to my 3.9 ghz but will drop down when the processor is not in as much use. 

The programs make things a little easier however they do not feel very reliable to me. 
Is there any way I can overclock in the bios and have it adapt to the work load? as opposed to staying at the set frequency no matter what load is applied.  

I feel this is a fairly simple question and I am quite surprised I have struggled to find an answer for it.

Thanks in advance. 

The programs oc via p states and when u oc u don't

if u want clocks to scale u need to oc via pstates in the bios 

in my opinion it's not worth it dude just be happy at 3.9 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Yeah, I'm happy with the overclock, I just didn't want my CPU to age quicker by being at higher temps when it doesn't need to be. 
Will look into Pstates but likely will just make an OC profile and only use it when i need to. 

Thanks