pc always crashes after windows 10 update

ipkj0o148

So i have an old system that used to run on windows 7 and was upgraded to windows 10.
This went well for a while but then one day windows prompted an update i resart the computer and it stays stuck at 100% or screen stays black but on.

I reset the computer to an earlier version and it posted fine. I kept ignoring the updates for as long as i could but sometimes it would just automaticly shut down and update.
After a while of ignoring the update and it then finally doing it itself usually it would work after the update, but everytime a new update comes along same problem happens

this is starting to become really annoying as the computer is sometimes practicly useless because of this so if anyone would have any ideas to help me it would be greatly appreciated.

If you're still using Windows 10, might I suggest using Windows 10 Update Assistant. It's basically the same as Windows Update but it seems to fix that update/broken updates almost every time. I've tried it on 4 or 5 comps here at work and it's worked on all of them.

9 minutes ago, ipkj0o148 said:

So i have an old system that used to run on windows 7 and was upgraded to windows 10.
This went well for a while but then one day windows prompted an update i resart the computer and it stays stuck at 100% or screen stays black but on.

I reset the computer to an earlier version and it posted fine. I kept ignoring the updates for as long as i could but sometimes it would just automaticly shut down and update.
After a while of ignoring the update and it then finally doing it itself usually it would work after the update, but everytime a new update comes along same problem happens

this is starting to become really annoying as the computer is sometimes practicly useless because of this so if anyone would have any ideas to help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like there was a problem with the initial switch from 7 to 10 that is making updates buggy. I would back up all your files, write down your windows key and do a fresh install of 10. then put in your key, run updates, and put all your files back on the system. 

4 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Sounds to me like there was a problem with the initial switch from 7 to 10 that is making updates buggy. I would back up all your files, write down your windows key and do a fresh install of 10. then put in your key, run updates, and put all your files back on the system. 

thing is i reinstalled windows already and it still happens and it was running fine for 1-2 years. and 4 months i ago i reset the pc tho factory settings deleted everything reinstalled windows and still same thing.

4 minutes ago, ipkj0o148 said:

thing is i reinstalled windows already and it still happens and it was running fine for 1-2 years. and 4 months i ago i reset the pc tho factory settings deleted everything reinstalled windows and still same thing.

Is Windows installed on a hard drive or an ssd? Also, what kind of PSU do you have?

Just now, doomsriker said:

Is Windows installed on a hard drive or an ssd? Also, what kind of PSU do you have?

installed on an hard drive not sure about the power supply it's a prebuild pc from acer i'm pretty sure its 750W

Just now, ipkj0o148 said:

installed on an hard drive not sure about the power supply it's a prebuild pc from acer i'm pretty sure its 750W

PSU is probably ok, but based on what you are saying that hard drive is defective if new and on it's last legs if old. 

1 minute ago, doomsriker said:

PSU is probably ok, but based on what you are saying that hard drive is defective if new and on it's last legs if old. 

well its a +7 year old system with all original hardware so that might well be i'll try and swap in a diffrent hard drive soon hopefully that solves it

3 minutes ago, ipkj0o148 said:

well its a +7 year old system with all original hardware so that might well be i'll try and swap in a diffrent hard drive soon hopefully that solves it

If you want to give yourself a better chance of avoiding similar problems in the future I would use an SSD for your primary drive. 

4 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

If you want to give yourself a better chance of avoiding similar problems in the future I would use an SSD for your primary drive. 

will do thank you for the help!