What is the SquirrelTemp folder?

So in my Local Appdata I found a SquirrelTemp folder with a text file called Squirrel Setup, can anyone tell me what this is?

In the text file it started with saying: 8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:53> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp

Then started to move files: 8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:53> ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298
8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:55> ApplyReleasesImpl: Moving file C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\lib\net45\content_resources_200_percent.pak to C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\content_resources_200_percent.pak
8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:55> ApplyReleasesImpl: Moving file C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\lib\net45\app.ico to C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\app.ico
8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:55> ApplyReleasesImpl: Moving file C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\lib\net45\blink_image_resources_200_percent.pak to C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\blink_image_resources_200_percent.pak  etc

Anyone now what this is? I cant find anything about it..

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

Might be part of Discord: Twitter

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

7 minutes ago, Komplett said:

So in my Local Appdata I found a SquirrelTemp folder with a text file called Squirrel Setup, can anyone tell me what this is?

In the text file it started with saying: 8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:53> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp

Then started to move files: 8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:53> ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298
8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:55> ApplyReleasesImpl: Moving file C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\lib\net45\content_resources_200_percent.pak to C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\content_resources_200_percent.pak
8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:55> ApplyReleasesImpl: Moving file C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\lib\net45\app.ico to C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\app.ico
8356> 2017-09-01 22:28:55> ApplyReleasesImpl: Moving file C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\lib\net45\blink_image_resources_200_percent.pak to C:\Users\-\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0.298\blink_image_resources_200_percent.pak  etc

Anyone now what this is? I cant find anything about it..

its a logbook for squirrel installer and things like that if it is taking up a lot of space you can delete it the next time you instal something it will be making a new logbook  

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

8 minutes ago, Domifi said:

Might be part of Discord: Twitter

6 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

its a logbook for squirrel installer and things like that if it is taking up a lot of space you can delete it the next time you instal something it will be making a new logbook  

I guess its just discord then, thanks for the help!

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

51 minutes ago, Komplett said:

I guess its just discord then, thanks for the help!

It isn't discord because i have never used discord and i just found the folder too. Mine is linked to the Brave browser.

EDIT:

It seems to be some sort of log file that windows creates when you get an installation has failed error and is triggered by different apps/programs on Win10.

One example  and another example 

I deleted all two Squirrel entries and my system is fine. Waiting to see if it reappears either on its own or when a installation has failed error happens. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

50 minutes ago, Leonard said:

It isn't discord because i have never used discord and i just found the folder too. Mine is linked to the Brave browser.

EDIT:

It seems to be some sort of log file that windows creates when you get an installation has failed error and is triggered by different apps/programs on Win10.

One example  and another example 

I deleted all two Squirrel entries and my system is fine. Waiting to see if it reappears either on its own or when a installation has failed error happens. 

Makes sense at I had some issues with Discord before, but I cant remember having an installation fail at that timestamp of the folder..

8 minutes ago, Komplett said:

Makes sense at I had some issues with Discord before, but I cant remember having an installation fail at that timestamp of the folder..

Alright, well since my deletion of the files i have not seen them reappear after two restarts but i will keep an eye out for when it does, if at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 9:52 AM, Komplett said:

Since this post, when i deleted the squirreltemp folder it has not returned until yesterday when the Brave browser had an update and the squirrelteam and squirrel.exe was reinstalled. I deleted that too and it has not returned and i have contacted the support team on Brave to see what information they have on the issue. I will also report on that too when/if they get back to me.

@Komplett, i recently received some information on the Squirrel.exe and the temp software and folders from the support staff  from the brave browser, i am going to give the small explanation and the link they provided for me to read up on it for you to read up on it as well, they said "Squirrel is both a set of tools and a library, to completely manage both installation and updating your Desktop Windows application, written in either C# or any other language (i.e., Squirrel can manage native C++ applications).

Squirrel uses NuGet packages to create installation and update packages, which means that you probably already know most of what you need to create an installer."

link to the quick snippet from the brave/Squirrel.Windows GitHub Repo.

i hope this puts your queries to rest as it did mine, this is just another thing Microsoft has added to manage the app section of the OS. I am now trying to assess what impact it has on the telemetry aspect of Win10.

• 7 months later...

One upon a time I installed whatsapp, now look what i've found. deleted it without thinking twice.

a screenshot ...

squrrel folderlinus.PNG

• 4 months later...

I don't think this is of concern. I found this folder in a hard drive that was compromised and was suspicious, especially since there's random characters from different languages inside a text file. So I thought the same thing, but it looks like this directory is a common place for Microsoft apps and framework for code distribution/Github. I also had this folder on a newly formatted laptop - both had MS Teams installed;I believe that was my source.