After Crash FX 8350 only goes to 1.36GHz

so about an hour ago my system locks up whilst playing a YouTube video screen goes black audio was looping, i tried the reset switch but after that it wouldn't boot eventually got that sorted not sure exactly what it was but im back in windows( i have done a bios reset but that was after i got to windows).

Now that I'm back in windows the cpu wont go past 1.36GHz ( multiplier isn't going above 7x 20x is the default) windows can tell the base speed is 4GHz I had speed steping disabled before the reset didnt change anything.

At this point i am fairly sure either the cpu is damaged and down clocking to protect itself or the motherboard is broken in some way is there a way to tell with some certainty exactly which it is? i think its probably the cpu but if theirs a way to check that would be grate.

to those who are going to say why both just get a new system i don't have much money atm if ram was anywhere near affordable i would have a new system.

thanks for any help

full specs:

CPU:AMD FX 8350 OC'd 4.2GHz

Cpu Cooler: Corsair H80GT

RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB x2

Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming AMD 970

GPU: Saphire RX 580 8GB

Boot SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB

HDD: 2TB WD Green. 1TB WD Blue

sounds like the well known thermal throttling. There are plenty forums full of complains of this motherboard getting too hot even idling with 8320s 8350s CPUs. Even considering your VERY conservative overclock.

Just for clarifications, its a well known issue with some 970 boards and eight ALUs CPUs from FX era. ITs not the CPU thats hot, its the motherboard components.

have a read here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/762078-970-chipset-gets-insanely-hot

i had seen some stuff about heat but it dosnt feel hot specy says the motherboard temp is 13C the room im in is probably around that sort of temp too. non of the heat sinks on the motherboard feel that hot either is there any way i can check or am i just going to have to go for a new board or borrow one to check it?

thanks for the help