i7 8700k max 4300Mhz

I enabled XMP for my RAM which is running at the advertised 3000mhz so that's fine but it seems like that option as put my CPU at a constant 4300mhz? Even when Idol.

I know that the single core boost is 4.7, all core boost is 4.3 if I remember right? So that's fine but I swear it was boosting to 4.4 before I enabled XMP? Or am I just remember wrong? 

i9 9900k | RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC | 32GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz DDR4 | Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

6 minutes ago, Azakius said:

I enabled XMP for my RAM which is running at the advertised 3000mhz so that's fine but it seems like that option as put my CPU at a constant 4300mhz? Even when Idol.

I know that the single core boost is 4.7, all core boost is 4.3 if I remember right? So that's fine but I swear it was boosting to 4.4 before I enabled XMP? Or am I just remember wrong? 

running a higher ram frequency is putting some load on the cpu because the ram controller is on the cpu. It is normal that the boost will slightly decrease. To be hones though since you have a 8700K you should probably overclock it anyways, even if its only a conservative one to like 4.7 on all cores, at least i would do that...

Just now, Leonius said:

running a higher ram frequency is putting some load on the cpu because the ram controller is on the cpu. It is normal that the boost will slightly decrease. To be hones though since you have a 8700K you should probably overclock it anyways, even if its only a conservative one to like 4.7 on all cores, at least i would do that...

I'm not experienced with overclocking, I done the Asus automatic overclock which put it to 5.1 and it was stable but CAM kept giving me warnings about a core going to 85 degrees so I dropped back to stock. 

Is it hard to overclock to 4.7 on all cores? I have the ASUS Maximus X Hero board which seems like it's a fairly decent overclockable board.

i9 9900k | RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC | 32GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz DDR4 | Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

Just now, Azakius said:

I'm not experienced with overclocking, I done the Asus automatic overclock which put it to 5.1 and it was stable but CAM kept giving me warnings about a core going to 85 degrees so I dropped back to stock. 

Is it hard to overclock to 4.7 on all cores? I have the ASUS Maximus X Hero board which seems like it's a fairly decent overclockable board.

yah the asus software increases the voltage way too high. Usually the 8700K can easily go to about 5.1-5.1 Ghz with reasonable voltage (try to keep the voltage below 1.25 -1.28) and see how far you can push the multiplier. Just wach one of the overclocking guides by linus, since the last couple of years pretty much all intel processors overclock the same way in the bios. 

What cooler do you have btw? 

2 minutes ago, Leonius said:

yah the asus software increases the voltage way too high. Usually the 8700K can easily go to about 5.1-5.1 Ghz with reasonable voltage (try to keep the voltage below 1.25 -1.28) and see how far you can push the multiplier. Just wach one of the overclocking guides by linus, since the last couple of years pretty much all intel processors overclock the same way in the bios. 

What cooler do you have btw? 

I've got the Kraken x62 280mm, seems to be a decent cooler, hopefully it can keep the temps down

Just now, Azakius said:

I've got the Kraken x62 280mm, seems to be a decent cooler, hopefully it can keep the temps down

yah if you applied it correcly that cooler will do fine with anything blow 1.3 Volts. just set the voltage to a constant 1.22 and see how far it gets you if you want to go further go further, but closely watch the temperatures and do exhaustive stress testing befor you stick with one clock speed.

6 minutes ago, Azakius said:

okay actually just did some quick searching and looks like with that cpu anything below 1.32 Volts is just fine, if the temps are okay. So you might want to go to about 1.28-1.3 Volts.

9 minutes ago, Leonius said:

okay actually just did some quick searching and looks like with that cpu anything below 1.32 Volts is just fine, if the temps are okay. So you might want to go to about 1.28-1.3 Volts.

Thanks dude, I'll turn off XMP and I'll try overclocking to to 4.7-4.8 then! 

1 hour ago, Azakius said:

Thanks dude, I'll turn off XMP and I'll try overclocking to to 4.7-4.8 then! 

NO! you can leave xmp on don't worry about it, the cpu can still overclock

1 minute ago, Leonius said:

NO! you can leave xmp on don't worry about it, the cpu can still overclock

Before I turned XMP on, I manually set the DRAM Freq to 3000 and it worked fine so no need for XMP, right? The DDR4 I've got is rated 3000mhz so

8 minutes ago, Azakius said:

Before I turned XMP on, I manually set the DRAM Freq to 3000 and it worked fine so no need for XMP, right? The DDR4 I've got is rated 3000mhz so

yes but xmp also adjusts timings and access rate, just leave it on it won't really affect the overclock.

40 minutes ago, Leonius said:

yes but xmp also adjusts timings and access rate, just leave it on it won't really affect the overclock.

I did exactly that and seems to be working fine, I managed to get a 5Ghz OC on it but according to core temp 1.11 the temps went to about 80 degrees and not sure I want that, so I dropped the OC down to 4.8, seems stable running cinebench and max temp was 75. 

Running at 1.34 volts, sounds okay? I mean I've read I shouldn't be worried about 80 degree temps on an 8700k but sounds a bit high to me! 

EDIT: Running Prime95, voltage jumps to 1.36v according to CPU Z. 

Just now, Azakius said:

I did exactly that and seems to be working fine, I managed to get a 5Ghz OC on it but according to core temp 1.11 the temps went to about 80 degrees and not sure I want that, so I dropped the OC down to 4.8, seems stable running cinebench and max temp was 75. 

Running at 1.34 volts, sounds okay? I mean I've read I shouldn't be worried about 80 degree temps on an 8700k but sounds a bit high to me! 

under water i would say 80C is the upper limit of what you want. You should try to lower the voltage a bit. Also in order to verify weather the oc is stable or not you need to stress test for at least several hours, use something like aida64 for that. Also note that a cinebench run is not long enough for the water in the cooler to heat up so the temperatures might rise. If you use prime95 to do the stress testing drop the voltage down by at least 0.02 since it tends to pull more than you actually set in bios.

Just now, Leonius said:

under water i would say 80C is the upper limit of what you want. You should try to lower the voltage a bit. Also in order to verify weather the oc is stable or not you need to stress test for at least several hours, use something like aida64 for that. Also note that a cinebench run is not long enough for the water in the cooler to heat up so the temperatures might rise. If you use prime95 to do the stress testing drop the voltage down by at least 0.02 since it tends to pull more than you actually set in bios.

Ahh, that's why it's at 1.36! Makes sense. I'm running a test now and will leave it for a bit, max temps seem to be about 70 under 100% load, I'm happy with them there. 

Just now, Azakius said:

Ahh, that's why it's at 1.36! Makes sense. I'm running a test now and will leave it for a bit, max temps seem to be about 70 under 100% load, I'm happy with them there. 

70C is fine still try dropping the voltage as far as you can before the computer crashes. 

4 minutes ago, Leonius said:

70C is fine still try dropping the voltage as far as you can before the computer crashes. 

Am I able to drop it down .2 at a time, use it like I usually would and just wait for a crash or should I drop it down and then continue stress tests? 

Just now, Azakius said:

Am I able to drop it down .2 at a time, use it like I usually would and just wait for a crash or should I drop it down and then continue stress tests? 

always do stress testing, you dont want it to crash during editing a document or something like that

1 minute ago, Azakius said:

i wouls suggest drop it to 1.32 and do a stress test, see weather it lasts

5 minutes ago, Leonius said:

i wouls suggest drop it to 1.32 and do a stress test, see weather it lasts

Dropped to 1.32, whilst running P95 it goes to 1.328v. Running tests now, hopefully it's fine! 

Really appreciate the help man! Couldn't of done this without you, give this man a medal! 

2 hours ago, Azakius said:

Dropped to 1.32, whilst running P95 it goes to 1.328v. Running tests now, hopefully it's fine! 

Really appreciate the help man! Couldn't of done this without you, give this man a medal! 

no problem sounds all good

55 minutes ago, Leonius said:

no problem sounds all good

So, dropped the voltage to 1.3 in the bios as I want to get it below 1.3 really and CPU Z says it's at 1.296, which I'm fine with but when running P95, it seems to go from 1.296 to 1.312 and back again. Anything to worry about or is it just because I'm running tests with P95? 

13 minutes ago, Azakius said:

So, dropped the voltage to 1.3 in the bios as I want to get it below 1.3 really and CPU Z says it's at 1.296, which I'm fine with but when running P95, it seems to go from 1.296 to 1.312 and back again. Anything to worry about or is it just because I'm running tests with P95? 

no thats fine only p95 does that its normal and below 1.32 is very good, no heating issues there