ML 120 or silentwings 3 for front radiator?

Go to solution Solved by Revan654,
18 hours ago, isaac22701 said:

I'm looking for new fans for my h100i since the stock fans get crazy loud and my graphics card temps get really high. I have a front radiator and I was wondering if it would be better to use the ml 120s or Silentwings 3 for the radiator. I like having a quiet computer, and I have a few questions about these fans.

1. Are the BeQuiet fans significantly quieter than the Corsair fans? The Amazon page suggests they are but someone's opinion would mean more to me.

2. Is the performance of the Silentwings better to where it would be worth spending the extra 8-10 dollars for the 2 fans? 

3. Would I see any noticeable improvement in gpu temperatures? This isn't a huge problem and I'm not throttling, but it is uncomfortable that even basic games drive up the temperatures to 80+ degrees (rx 480 strix)

The case is a p400s. If you need any other information about the computer the specs should be on the profile.

I have both and I have fully tested them, this is all based off my own testing.

- Silent Wings 3 & ML Pros are both very quiet. With SW3 being slightly quieter but at a reduced performance.

- Silent Wings 3 PWM version have issues with certain Fan controllers and fan headers.

- Silent Wings 3 also have gaps between each fan which creates dead spots on the radiator.

- ML Pros push allot more CFM through compared to SW3.

- ML Pro's use Magnetic Levitation technology, You will never hear the motor on Corsair Fans.

In the end ML Pro's are better for radiators.

9 hours ago, Chiru said:

You dont need static pressure fans for radiators. Best is airflow fan with decent static pressure.

I think your confused on what static pressure fans are designed for and how they operate with radiators.

I'm looking for new fans for my h100i since the stock fans get crazy loud and my graphics card temps get really high. I have a front radiator and I was wondering if it would be better to use the ml 120s or Silentwings 3 for the radiator. I like having a quiet computer, and I have a few questions about these fans.

1. Are the BeQuiet fans significantly quieter than the Corsair fans? The Amazon page suggests they are but someone's opinion would mean more to me.

2. Is the performance of the Silentwings better to where it would be worth spending the extra 8-10 dollars for the 2 fans? 

3. Would I see any noticeable improvement in gpu temperatures? This isn't a huge problem and I'm not throttling, but it is uncomfortable that even basic games drive up the temperatures to 80+ degrees (rx 480 strix)

The case is a p400s. If you need any other information about the computer the specs should be on the profile.

Gentle Typhoon new v2.0, D1225C12B5AP-73. That's the 1850 rpm model for a more balanced performance/noise ratio.

Thank me later.

Front mounted radiator ?

Im an idiot and i cant read. 

Because that case looks like horrible airflow. 80 degree for a water cooled setup sounds like really bad my 1080 Ti does not go over 68 at 2000+ mhz on air.... 

9 hours ago, wonderforest said:

Gentle Typhoon new v2.0, D1225C12B5AP-73. That's the 1850 rpm model for a more balanced performance/noise ratio.

Thank me later.

Just no.

Double ball bearing gets noisy af.

You dont need static pressure fans for radiators. Best is airflow fan with decent static pressure.

The Corsair ML120 PRO are awesome. 

10 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Front mounted radiator ?

Because that case looks like horrible airflow. 80 degree for a water cooled setup sounds like really bad my 1080 Ti does not go over 68 at 2000+ mhz on air.... 

I should have been more clear. The radiator only cools the cpu but since I've installed it I went from 2 140mm fans in the front to 2 120mm fans with a radiator in front of them. The graphics card is on air. I think there are a few things I could change to fix that but I feel like the new fans would help a lot since they could spin at a higher speed while remaining quiet.

The more I talk about this the less I think this post belongs in water cooling.

10 hours ago, wonderforest said:

Thank me later.

For what that noise or that at this price point this is not even a PWM Fan ? 

29 minutes ago, isaac22701 said:
10 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Front mounted radiator ?

I should have been more clear. The radiator only cools the cpu but since I've installed it I went from 2 140mm fans in the front to 2 120mm fans with a radiator in front of them. The graphics card is on air. I think there are a few things I could change to fix that but I feel like the new fans would help a lot since they could spin at a higher speed while remaining quiet.

The more I talk about this the less I think this post belongs in water cooling.

Ok what im thinking is why you don´t mount the radiator on the top rather than front leave that 2 stock fans there and go a bit lower with RPM. And then for front get 2 nice silent wings 3 either 120 mm or 140 mm or NF-F12(120) or NF-F14(140),  i would opt for 2 140 mm fans because then you get more airflow at lower rpm. Overall then you should have lot more air in your case. Can you post a pic of the situation in your case at the moment just to be sure i understood everything going on correct. 

35 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

For what that noise or that at this price point this is not even a PWM Fan ? 

Ok what im thinking is why you don´t mount the radiator on the top rather than front leave that 2 stock fans there and go a bit lower with RPM. And then for front get 2 nice silent wings 3 either 120 mm or 140 mm or NF-F12(120) or NF-F14(140),  i would opt for 2 140 mm fans because then you get more airflow at lower rpm. Overall then you should have lot more air in your case. Can you post a pic of the situation in your case at the moment just to be sure i understood everything going on correct. 

I wanted to do that originally but I don't think the case officially supports a top radiator, I have issues with ram clearance. I'm thinking if I put two 140mm fans on the top I can draw in more air. I'd have to deal with more dust but that really isn't a huge problem since it'll be easy to clean. I can try moving the radiator to the top again but I don't think it'll work.

Here's the picture. With the new fans I'll probably change it to a push configuration in the front and of course clean up all those cables. 

T5a528a9e8d463_20180107_1300141.thumb.jpg.55c13eb83718404d7b48f89da75b42d4.jpg

Mhh looks pretty similar to my meshify c but with 2 design flaws no mesh front panel no 240/280 aio mount on top(they could have made it just a few cm taller and then it would be possible). But you can just like the meshify c remove that psu shroud (see pic you would normally do that for a 360 front rad) and mount another fan there ? in my case i could mount either one at the bottom or one additional 120 mm in the front then assuming no i would not use the harddrive cage. Another question to more experienced water cooling guys out there isnt it better to mount the fans and then the rad and not like you did ? I mean from my point of view the fans on the rad have to fight the radiator + the front panel + an 90 degree angle there. 

psushroud.PNG

Yea I can look at getting that taken off, another fan would help. I think I can still use the hard drive cage too if I just do a fan. When I get the new stuff I'll switch the fans around too, I already had thought about that. Thanks for the help with that. I'll try it out when I can.

18 hours ago, isaac22701 said:

- Silent Wings 3 & ML Pros are both very quiet. With SW3 being slightly quieter but at a reduced performance.

- Silent Wings 3 PWM version have issues with certain Fan controllers and fan headers.

- Silent Wings 3 also have gaps between each fan which creates dead spots on the radiator.

- ML Pro's use Magnetic Levitation technology, You will never hear the motor on Corsair Fans.

9 hours ago, Chiru said:

I think your confused on what static pressure fans are designed for and how they operate with radiators.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

36 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for. ML pros it is. Thanks a lot!

Keep in mind that supposedly the ML Pros require a real PWM connector/signal for the magnetic levitation bearing to function properly. I've read that they only work correctly with a 12v signal.

I tried one briefly a while back without realizing that my motherboard had fake PWM connectors, and was totally unimpressed with it compared to the Silent Wings 3. I wish I could try one again on a proper PWM connector.

4 minutes ago, Raxxath said:

Keep in mind that supposedly the ML Pros require a real PWM connector/signal for the magnetic levitation bearing to function properly. I've read that they only work correctly with a 12v signal.

I tried one briefly a while back without realizing that my motherboard had fake PWM connectors, and was totally unimpressed with it compared to the Silent Wings 3. I wish I could try one again on a proper PWM connector.

That shouldn't be a problem. The pump has a fan controller on it and it seems to work really well with the stock fans. Thanks for the advice though!

48 minutes ago, Raxxath said:

Never heard about something like that on which motherboard ? 

3 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Without a proper PWM header the fan does not perform and starts to grind. Magnetic Levitation technology requires full PWM connection.

I have 7 Ml pros in my in win 909 case, at 50% speed they are inaudible with mx ear against them.

I don't think the silent wings 3 are quieter. Magnetic levitation bearing is probably the quietest fan bearing. Magnetic levitation means that you have an object suspended without mechanical support other than magnetic fields. No mechanical parts touching each other.

Surprisingly, compared to other fans, they don't get so dusty. The blades of the silent wings 3 have an uneven texture, much more dust friendly.

The CoolerMaster Silencio would be an option too.

10 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Without a proper PWM header the fan does not perform and starts to grind. Magnetic Levitation technology requires full PWM connection.

I know but i never heard of non proper PWM connectors thats why i asked which chinese crap no name shit board has non working pwm connectors.

1 hour ago, Klemmbrett said:

I know but i never heard of non proper PWM connectors thats why i asked which chinese crap no name shit board has non working pwm connectors.

It's more then just Chinese crap boards that have fake PWM headers installed.

12 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

1 hour ago, Klemmbrett said:

A lot of motherboards around the Z87 era, including my Z87 Sabertooth. They have 4-pin fan headers that pretend to be PWM, but they're just voltage controlled. Really annoying.

4 minutes ago, Raxxath said:

A lot of motherboards around the Z87 era, including my Z87 Sabertooth. They have 4-pin fan headers that pretend to be PWM, but they're just voltage controlled. Really annoying.

Mmmh k did not know that.