Windows Audio Service - Randomly Shuts Off

KaireFeare
Go to solution Solved by PorkishPig,
2 minutes ago, KaireFeare said:

It does not notify me at all, the audio just cuts out.

Try just scrapping the Realtek audio driver by uninstalling in Programs and Features. I'd like to hear if the same issue occurs when you try using Window's default audio driver.

Honestly not sure how to start this off, but I've been having problems with my PC, and it's becoming more and more common it feels. My audio keeps on shutting off, or at least from what I can tell Windows Audio Service is randomly shutting itself off. Whenever it does shut off, I have to restart my current game, and Discord, and etc., whether it be I can no longer hear the game / Discord, or I can't talk. It's extremely tedious and annoying, sometimes it just gets stuck, and then I have to fully restart my PC.

tl;dr Windows Audio Service randomly shuts off, and I'm not sure why

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview  64 Bit - Version 10.0.17025 Build 17025 

CPU : 6700k

GPU : 1060 

PSU : EVGA GQ 650W

Mobo : H110M-DS/Hyper

Bios Version - American Megatrends Inc. P1.80, 8/31/2016

I've had this occur when I've had League of Legends, Terraria, GTA V, and Chrome open.

I've tried making sure all my drivers are up to date, incl. the Realtek drivers, but am willing to try again, just in case I didn't download latest version

1 minute ago, KaireFeare said:

Honestly not sure how to start this off, but I've been having problems with my PC, and it's becoming more and more common it feels. My audio keeps on shutting off, or at least from what I can tell Windows Audio Service is randomly shutting itself off. Whenever it does shut off, I have to restart my current game, and Discord, and etc., whether it be I can no longer hear the game / Discord, or I can't talk. It's extremely tedious and annoying, sometimes it just gets stuck, and then I have to fully restart my PC.

tl;dr Windows Audio Service randomly shuts off, and I'm not sure why

Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview  64 Bit - Version 10.0.17025 Build 17025 

CPU : 6700k

GPU : 1060 

PSU : EVGA GQ 650W

Mobo : H110M-DS/Hyper

Bios Version - American Megatrends Inc. P1.80, 8/31/2016

I've had this occur when I've had League of Legends, Terraria, GTA V, and Chrome open.

I've tried making sure all my drivers are up to date, incl. the Realtek drivers, but am willing to try again, just in case I didn't download latest version

I had a similar problem then I factory reset and installed a fresh copy

Just now, Hari S said:

I had a similar problem then I factory reset and installed a fresh copy

I've been wanting to do a fresh copy of a Windows Install, but I don't want to go back and redownload all my games, and applications, etc. It's a last resort, if I need to do it, I will. 

Okay, so you're saying the audio service specifically. You've verified by going into the system services that this specific service is not running, or do you just mean in a general sense that the audio stops working?

3 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Okay, so you're saying the audio service specifically. You've verified by going into the system services that this specific service is not running, or do you just mean in a general sense that the audio stops working?

Half and half, sorry for the vague answer, but when I first had encountered this problem, I had left clicked the Audio icon in my Tray, and the Windows Error Reporter, said that the service had been disabled. 

When the problem occurs it has the Sound Icon, but with the Red Circle and the X on it. 

Looks like this 

https://prnt.sc/hwyg6k

Edit : I'm going to update my bios, and see if it happens again. 

Edited by KaireFeare
Not wanting to spam / double post.

Just now, KaireFeare said:

I've been wanting to do a fresh copy of a Windows Install, but I don't want to go back and redownload all my games, and applications, etc. It's a last resort, if I need to do it, I will. 

for me it was not as important as yours. 

5 minutes ago, KaireFeare said:

If you're worried about reinstalling games, you can move them to an external drive and move them back to their correct directory after a clean install. I can't say the same about your applications, as you'll have to use the installer's repair tool to reestablish symlinks in Control Panel and your Start Menu.

9 minutes ago, KaireFeare said:

When your audio suddenly stops does Realtek HD Audio Manager notify you of a physical disconnect of your device in a popup?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 minute ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

If you're worried about reinstalling games, you can move them to an external drive and move them back to their correct directory after a clean install. I can't say the same about your applications, as you'll have to use the installer's repair tool to reestablish symlinks in Control Panel and your Start Menu.

When your audio suddenly stops does Realtek HD Audio Manager notify you of a physical disconnect of your device in a popup?

2 minutes ago, KaireFeare said:

Try just scrapping the Realtek audio driver by uninstalling in Programs and Features. I'd like to hear if the same issue occurs when you try using Window's default audio driver.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

11 hours ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Ok, I'll scrap Realtek, but it'd need to take a while probably for it to happen, if it does happen. Considering I don't know why it happens. Once it does happen, I'll come back with an update. 

Edit : Looks like Problem is solved, I uninstalled the Realtek Audio driver, thanks @Homeless Pineapple! Anyone else who commented, thanks for the input!

Edited by KaireFeare
Marked as Solved