Trouble with booting

Hi LTT community. I'm having an issue with my drives booting. My operating system is stored on my SSD and the SSD has been set to the #1 boot priority. However, unless I select my hard drive by using f11 to get to boot order, the display says "operating system not found. Try unplugging drives without an operating system". Yes, I have done that, no it did not work. Some important information is that I recently changed cases so as such unplugged everything including SATA cables and rebuilt. The SATA cables for the SSD and HDD are not in the same place as before but as far as I know that shouldn't have an impact. 

To clarify, I can use the computer, but only by selecting the HDD in boot selection. The HDD does not appear in the BIOS boot order, and the SSD registers as a hard disk, though I believe that's normal.

Please let me know any ideas for a solution. Thanks 

I ran into this on a previous build. The issue for me was with how my drives were partitioned when I installed windows. Did you have both drives in the system when you installed windows? Can you post a screen shot of your disk management window?

I have a supermicro board, and it has a weird layout in how you select your drives.

There would be a pull-down menu, which would sort the order of your hard drives, then theres another menu that would select the boot order. So even though I had HDD as my primary boot order selection, it had the second hard drive as the primary drive in that cluster. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't choosing that drive, until I did some tinkering and found that option.

But by default, I usually put my boot SATA drive into Sata_0 just to be sure.

I have no capture card but I might be able to make a crappy phone video pointing this out.

7 hours ago, Nite-Ninja said:

I have a supermicro board, and it has a weird layout in how you select your drives.

There would be a pull-down menu, which would sort the order of your hard drives, then theres another menu that would select the boot order. So even though I had HDD as my primary boot order selection, it had the second hard drive as the primary drive in that cluster. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't choosing that drive, until I did some tinkering and found that option.

But by default, I usually put my boot SATA drive into Sata_0 just to be sure.

I have no capture card but I might be able to make a crappy phone video pointing this out.

I have an MSI board so that may not be the same but thanks!

8 hours ago, mthoward said:

I ran into this on a previous build. The issue for me was with how my drives were partitioned when I installed windows. Did you have both drives in the system when you installed windows? Can you post a screen shot of your disk management window?

Yes, I had both drives plugged in. Heres the screenshot.

Capture.PNG

That first partition named system reserved should be on your os drive. The only solution that I know of is to do a fresh install of windows with just the one drive (250GB) plugged in and then afterwards you can add the 2nd drive (1TB). You could try to remove the 1 TB and try to boot from the windows install media and then try a start up repair.

I would not try to copy the partition or anything like that.