Inputs & Outputs

jaytrl

I always mess up connecting devices together via inputs and outputs. Like I somehow always confuse the input and output connections. For example, I connected one end of a RCA cable to the input of the TV and the other end to the output of the AVR, because I thought the AVR would output the sound to the speakers connected to my AVR. Turns out the output was supposed to be in the TV and the input was supposed to be connected to the AVR. Can someone please explain or give me some tips on how I can never confuse input/output connections again please. I'd appreciate the help. Any helpful links to documents regarding inputs/outputs would be greatly appreciated the. Thank you!

The AVR outputs the sound to the speakers -- so the thing doing the outputting (e.g. the speakers) should be connected to the AVR's output (an RCA/XLR output if there is no built in amp, or a speaker wire output if there is). The cable box/PC/other outputs the video/sound signal to the AVR/TV (depending on the setup) and thus should be connected to the AVR/TV's inputs.

Traditionally, you would have all devices connected to the AVR's inputs, and the AVR's video output goes to the TV and the AVR's audio output goes to the speakers. If you have an older AVR (like I do) that doesn't have HDMI, then you might have everything running into the TV's inputs via HDMI and then a single optical/digital coax/RCA output from the TV going into one of the AVR's audio inputs.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

But why it did work when I connected through RCA to the TV output and the other end of the RCA cable to the AVRs input? I'm lost lol.

13 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The AVR outputs the sound to the speakers -- so the thing doing the outputting (e.g. the speakers) should be connected to the AVR's output (an RCA/XLR output if there is no built in amp, or a speaker wire output if there is). The cable box/PC/other outputs the video/sound signal to the AVR/TV (depending on the setup) and thus should be connected to the AVR/TV's inputs.

Traditionally, you would have all devices connected to the AVR's inputs, and the AVR's video output goes to the TV and the AVR's audio output goes to the speakers. If you have an older AVR (like I do) that doesn't have HDMI, then you might have everything running into the TV's inputs via HDMI and then a single optical/digital coax/RCA output from the TV going into one of the AVR's audio inputs.

Like I have a tv and speakers connected to an AVR. The output of the RCA is on the TV and the input is in the AVR

4 minutes ago, jaytrl said:

Like I have a tv and speakers connected to an AVR. The output of the RCA is on the TV and the input is in the AVR

The only cable from the AVR's output to the TV's input should be a video cable (if it's an older AVR that doesn't have HDMI, then you shouldn't even have that).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ok. That's good to remember. Thank you for the help/advice