Help! Beep sequence unknown

Peyton Gant

I bought a motherboard from a guy and when I hook it all up it does a beep sequence of 40 constant fast beeps stops for about 5 seconds and does the 40 beeps again.

the motherboard is a 

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-HD3 

the cpu is a i5 4670k

please help!

And yes I have googled the beeps and can not find anything about 40 beeps 

It's not 40 beeps that's the error code. The error code you get is "continuous short beep" which means "memory not correctly installed".

Gigabyte's FAQ: What does BIOS beep sound mean (emphasis mine)

1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's not 40 beeps that's the error code. The error code you get is "continuous short beep" which means "memory not correctly installed".

Gigabyte's FAQ: What does BIOS beep sound mean (emphasis mine)

Thank you for the response! So the ram I’m using is the same ram I use in my main desktop it works fine in my pc. I’ve put the ram in every slot and it is locked in and fitted fine what could my issue then? Are the slots broke or what?

25 minutes ago, Peyton Gant said:

Thank you for the response! So the ram I’m using is the same ram I use in my main desktop it works fine in my pc. I’ve put the ram in every slot and it is locked in and fitted fine what could my issue then? Are the slots broke or what?

Remove all but one stick of RAM. Put it in the first DIMM slot (note: the first slot is not always the one closest to the CPU, check the motherboard manual) and try starting your computer. If it doesn't work, reset your BIOS (either with the jumper or by removing the battery) and try again. if it doesn't work, try the RAM stick in the second slot. If it doesn't work try with another RAM stick in the first slot.

Sounds like a pain in the ass, and it is if you got a big CPU cooler, but it's the only way to narrow the issue down.

Might be dead RAM slot, might be dead RAM. Might also (but unlikely) be incompatible RAM with that particular motherboard. I've had that issue with Ryzen but Intel is usually more forgiving with RAM.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Remove all but one stick of RAM. Put it in the first DIMM slot (note: the first slot is not always the one closest to the CPU, check the motherboard manual) and try starting your computer. If it doesn't work, reset your BIOS (either with the jumper or by removing the battery) and try again. if it doesn't work, try the RAM stick in the second slot. If it doesn't work try with another RAM stick in the first slot.

Sounds like a pain in the ass, and it is if you got a big CPU cooler, but it's the only way to narrow the issue down.

Might be dead RAM slot, might be dead RAM. Might also (but unlikely) be incompatible RAM with that particular motherboard. I've had that issue with Ryzen but Intel is usually more forgiving with RAM.

Since were talking about cpu Cooler this heatsink is jacked up and won’t fit would that cause an issue of it not turning on? Like I know I’m not supposed to not have one on but it’s it won’t be running off then 30 seconds I’m just testing to see if it all works before I buy a new heat sink