Hard Freeze Windows 10

CinemaAttic

Okay so i’ve got my pc built way back in 2013, 

i5-3470 paired with a gtx 750 ti

Been casually gaming since i first built it but now outta nowhere, my pc is getting hard freeezes where i can’t move my mouse. It happens not only when i’m gaming but also when i watch youtube or just stay idle on the desktop. 

I checked both gpu and cpu temps, having them on screen and wait till it freezes, both looks normal. Cpu usage doesnt spike to 100% same goes for the disk usage.

I did a factory restore to my pc, but doesnt seem to help, it still freezes

It might be worth doing a completely new, clean install of your OS, which a factory reset doesn't quite do, at least to eliminate potential hardware issues. Otherwise, test with whatever different parts you can, to see if you can narrow things down.

3 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

It might be worth doing a completely new, clean install of your OS, which a factory reset doesn't quite do, at least to eliminate potential hardware issues. Otherwise, test with whatever different parts you can, to see if you can narrow things down.

i tried that too, still the same problem occurs

1 minute ago, CinemaAttic said:

i tried that too, still the same problem occurs

Then it is likely a hardware issue. Have you tried reapplying thermal paste to your cpu? What are your temps like?

41 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Then it is likely a hardware issue. Have you tried reapplying thermal paste to your cpu? What are your temps like?

temps both are at 39 but hmm i’ve never cleand my pc since 2013, maybe that’s the problem? ? I’ll try to clean it when i have time, see how it goes

5 hours ago, CinemaAttic said:

Okay so i’ve got my pc built way back in 2013, 

i5-3470 paired with a gtx 750 ti

Been casually gaming since i first built it but now outta nowhere, my pc is getting hard freeezes where i can’t move my mouse. It happens not only when i’m gaming but also when i watch youtube or just stay idle on the desktop. 

I checked both gpu and cpu temps, having them on screen and wait till it freezes, both looks normal. Cpu usage doesnt spike to 100% same goes for the disk usage.

I did a factory restore to my pc, but doesnt seem to help, it still freezes

I don't know how people come up with their solutions to said problem, badly applied thermal paste wouldn't cause freezing, at best it would change temps by 5c ish. It's most likely a bad memory module or a failing HDD that's causing the lockups. 

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

16 hours ago, Krzyimprt said:

I don't know how people come up with their solutions to said problem, badly applied thermal paste wouldn't cause freezing, at best it would change temps by 5c ish. It's most likely a bad memory module or a failing HDD that's causing the lockups. 

hmm, i’ll try switching out the HDD, noticed it’s been making noisy sounds. Thanks!

18 hours ago, Krzyimprt said:

People come up with this from working in IT for over two decades and seeing exactly the symptoms described, especially if thermal throttling is involved. It may well be a failing HD or a bad RAM stick but if the thermal paste hasn't been changed in over four years and the PC hasn't been cleaned in a long time, it can cause multiple issues, including shorts as dust can be conductive if there's enough of it, and it's a good idea to reapply paste and clean the system anyway.

On 30/12/2017 at 6:43 PM, Krzyimprt said:

20 hours ago, johnukguy said:

People come up with this from working in IT for over two decades and seeing exactly the symptoms described, especially if thermal throttling is involved. It may well be a failing HD or a bad RAM stick but if the thermal paste hasn't been changed in over four years and the PC hasn't been cleaned in a long time, it can cause multiple issues, including shorts as dust can be conductive if there's enough of it, and it's a good idea to reapply paste and clean the system anyway.

Oh well I did what was sugfested and great i was able to use the pc for the whole day but the next day, the same problem occurs. Could it be the motherboard? maybe it’s outdated?I switched the ram, changed the hard drives cleaned the pc and cpu. any way i could update the motherboard? 

1 minute ago, CinemaAttic said:

Oh well I did what was sugfested and great i was able to use the pc for the whole day but the next day, the same problem occurs. Could it be the motherboard? maybe it’s outdated?I switched the ram, changed the hard drives cleaned the pc and cpu. any way i could update the motherboard? 

You could certainly check that the BIOS is updated but it is looking like a hardware issue. Do you have your OS on an HD or an SSD?