Using external USB HDD for restore

Hello all happy holidays everyone, I have a quick question and don't want to take up anyone's time. 
Well i am in the process of re-installing and formating Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) I didn't realize
when i built everything that system restore was disabled. Instead of backup up on a external HDD
I was wondering could you just format a external HDD with lets say 8TB of storage no it, I want to
create a system restore point on the single drive. here's what everything may look like. 

Installed items. Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, AMD Catalyst Drivers, Bandicam, Spotify,
Steam (No games installed), Google Chrome, Opera. i want to do this lightly as much as i can. 

And this would probably be the time, i create a system restore point on the external drive.
Will the restore point i saved will be avaible tor future usage like lets say i restored back to 
such and such. then if someone ever goes wrong again, i have to use it lets say end of 2018
and 2019. Will i be able to use it still? the reason I've asked was that i had Windows XP 
and created restore points and when used them, they we'rent listed anymore and was screwed..
because the restore point wasn't there anymore. Will this happen if I end up performing this procedure
on to the drive in the future. 

Thanks in advance all sorry posted this on iphone and very sloppy i applogize! 

Make a full restore point of the system, becaus ethere are some programs that may not work in another copy of windows. Make a full restore point and do it regularly. If you are going to keep usign that PC, make a copy regularly, because if it fucks up mid 2019 and you have a copy if what you had in late 2017, you're gonna lose a lot of data.

Happy to help!