CPU+MOBO HELP

Hey, I am finally able to upgrade my rig's cpu+mobo (already have the ddr4 ram needed and a 1070 etc). I am currently using a 4690k but want to upgrade as the games I play seem to use more than 4 cores/threads. Should I get the 8600k or the 8700k? Also is the Z370 maximus a good motherboard choice (non wifi edition). I'm mainly gaming and doing a small bit of live streaming. I preferably want to stay away from Ryzen. Thanks

The Darkened Phantom(With some light shining through)

CPU: I7-8700K @4.9Ghz 1.313 V Core

COOLER: Corsair H115i

GPU: 1070 Founders Edition @Stock settings

RAM: 16GB DDR4 CL14 TEAM GROUP DARK PRO 8PACK Hand picked Samsung B-Dies @ 3200mhz

PSU: Corsair RM 850X

CASE: Enthoo Pro M Special Edition

STORAGE: 1X 128GB SSD, 1X120GB SSD, 1 X 500GB NVME PCIE SSD and 1X 2TB HDD

If you can affoord then go with i7, extra 6 threads wont do any harm. And unless you plan to overclock, dont spend too much on mobo like Maximus.

1 hour ago, GitGud said:

If you can affoord then go with i7, extra 6 threads wont do any harm. And unless you plan to overclock, dont spend too much on mobo like Maximus.

I probably will overclock it

The Darkened Phantom(With some light shining through)

CPU: I7-8700K @4.9Ghz 1.313 V Core

COOLER: Corsair H115i

GPU: 1070 Founders Edition @Stock settings

RAM: 16GB DDR4 CL14 TEAM GROUP DARK PRO 8PACK Hand picked Samsung B-Dies @ 3200mhz

PSU: Corsair RM 850X

CASE: Enthoo Pro M Special Edition

STORAGE: 1X 128GB SSD, 1X120GB SSD, 1 X 500GB NVME PCIE SSD and 1X 2TB HDD

2 hours ago, DrBonesMcCoy said:

Hey, I am finally able to upgrade my rig's cpu+mobo (already have the ddr4 ram needed and a 1070 etc). I am currently using a 4690k but want to upgrade as the games I play seem to use more than 4 cores/threads. Should I get the 8600k or the 8700k? Also is the Z370 maximus a good motherboard choice (non wifi edition). I'm mainly gaming and doing a small bit of live streaming. I preferably want to stay away from Ryzen. Thanks

If you're going to choose, get the 8700K for sure.  It is more future proof for not that much more money.  

Honestly in today's games there isn't much difference between a 8600K and 8700K at all. That may change in a year or two as games increasingly become more multithreaded, but as it stands today's AAA titles show very little gains going from 6C/6T to 6C/12T.

You will probably get a smoother streaming experience with the 8700K due to the extra threads, though.

25 minutes ago, mlung said:

If you're going to choose, get the 8700K for sure.  It is more future proof for not that much more money.  

Agreed it's more future proof, but it is quite a bit more expensive also. Microcenter is selling the 8600K for $230, the 8700K for $380.