Clone C: Drive without format/fresh install?

Tech Wizard

Hello,

A friend of mine is using a 120GB SSD as his C: and 1TB HDD as his D. He is out of storage on the SSD, and wants to buy a new 240/525GB SSD as his new C drive. He wants to copy/clone his OS + software from  his current 120GB to the new SSD, without formatting the drive (doesn't want a clean install of Windows). Is this possible without doing a format/clean install, and if yes, what's the procedure? I don't know what will happen to the old 120GB SSD (maybe he will sell it?).

Note: It's a desktop, not laptop. 

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

I'm going to assume you mean without formatting the old ssd, and not the new one, as you'll definitely have to format the new drive to copy the partitions over from the old one.

I would recommend you take a look at this article, seeing as it may not be entirely in your best interest depending on the cloning software. (I've personally never had a problem cloning drives).

TL;DR: Use Acronis True Image

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

3 minutes ago, owluitar said:

I'm going to assume you mean without formatting the old ssd, and not the new one, as you'll definitely have to format the new drive to copy the partitions over from the old one.

I would recommend you take a look at this article, seeing as it may not be entirely in your best interest depending on the cloning software. (I've personally never had a problem cloning drives).

TL;DR: Use Acronis True Image

Yeah, he's gonna buy a new SSD, and just wants to move his OS + programs from old 120GB to the new he will buy. Good to know I can do this via software. Thanks :)

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

If the mechanical drive is either manufactured by seagate or western digital, you can use their respective software (which is just a rebranded version of acronis true image) to clone the SSD (since either of the drives that are involved in the cloning process don't have to be the actual drive that is supported by the software), although either SSD manufacturer might have their owl tools which include drive cloning (and even then, it's possible that it'll still be some rebranded variant of acronis true image).