Questions on upgrading GPU

Yana

Hello there, I am wanting to buy a new gpu since it is nearly the end of the year! I have had a gtx 750ti for a while and while I am satisfied with it... I would love to run PUBG without lagging etc.(I know that there will be lagging still but not as much if you understand >.<)   I was recommended a 980ti but atm when I look up that card it comes up with  600$ cards. I know that there is a subreddit for people selling used cards like the 980ti for 300$-400$ problem is, i'm still a young-in. since I cannot drive nor have a credit card I was planning on going to BestBuys tomorrow to get a new GPU(if thats a good idea?). My plan was to get a 1070 but I do not know about which brand is best for such things as the 1070.

My pc specs: i5-6600

GPU:750ti (wanting suggestions to replace or go with the 1070)

Motherboard:B150M PRO-D'

RAM:8GB

1tb Harddrive

PSU- 44W(dont know the brand etc, need to upgrade it soon or right now)

Games I would LOVE to run: PUBG and Monster Hunter World(when it comes out)

budget would be 400 or near

dont even consider buying a brand new GTX 900 series GPU - only consider buying those used

More importantly - what power supply do you have?

and what resolution are you playing games at?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Try seeing if your parents can order you an MSI GTX 1070 Aero from Amazon or Newegg, and then you can reimburse them with cash. If your PSU can run a 1070 that is, although I would imagine a 1060 6Gb would work as well(which you can get from Best Buy assuming they're not sold out like they are every time I go)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Get a 1070Ti rather than a 1070.

Almost same price, performs basically as an under-clocked 1080 (ergo just OC it).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

14 minutes ago, mok said:

dont even consider buying a brand new GTX 900 series GPU - only consider buying those used

More importantly - what power supply do you have?

and what resolution are you playing games at?

Most 1080p 1920x1080

PSU I need to upgrade atm its 400W i need 500W to run it correct?

16 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Get a 1070Ti rather than a 1070.

Almost same price, performs basically as an under-clocked 1080 (ergo just OC it).

ergo? and ty for the tip!!!

16 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try seeing if your parents can order you an MSI GTX 1070 Aero from Amazon or Newegg, and then you can reimburse them with cash. If your PSU can run a 1070 that is, although I would imagine a 1060 6Gb would work as well(which you can get from Best Buy assuming they're not sold out like they are every time I go)

reimburse? sorry dont know what that is. Also, why MSI or "AERO"?

A GTX 1070 is around the same in performance as a GTX 980 Ti. Sure, you also get 2 GB more memory on the GTX 1070, but this is almost always going to be meaningless, even if you were playing the game at 4K.

I can't say which brand is the best brand, because they all have pretty good cards. Here's what I consider:

• Avoid blower-style/reference coolers except when they're appropriate (e.g. a SFF build). Get a card that cools adequately.

• Do not pay extra just because something has a faster clock speed, because you can always overclock the difference yourself. Even if you don't, factory overclocks are not going to make a significant difference in gaming.

As an example, I bought a MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming instead of the faster MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X. It was $20 cheaper and had only a very slight difference in core clock. I then found this card overclocks all the way to 2138 MHz!

• Pay attention to the picture of the card. If it doesn't look like it would aesthetically match your build, you may want to consider a different option. If you don't care about aesthetics, don't worry.

It may also be worth considering the connectors required to power the card. A card that has a 6-pin and 8-pin connector may overclock better than a card that just has an 8-pin connector. Like anything that has to do with overclocking, this is never a guarantee.

Just now, Yana said:

reimburse? sorry dont know what that is. Also, why MSI or "AERO"?

Reimburse basically means pay them back so you're technically still paying for it. The MSI Aero 1070 is one of the cheapest on the market(and I personally love the cooler design). Every card has a different type of cooler, all with different names that vary by brand. Asus Strix, Gigabyte Windforce, MSI Twin Frozr V, EVGA ACX 3.0, etc for example.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

A GTX 1070 is around the same in performance as a GTX 980 Ti. Sure, you also get 2 GB more memory on the GTX 1070, but this is almost always going to be meaningless, even if you were playing the game at 4K.

I can't say which brand is the best brand, because they all have pretty good cards. Here's what I consider:

• Avoid blower-style/reference coolers except when they're appropriate (e.g. a SFF build). Get a card that cools adequately.

• Do not pay extra just because something has a faster clock speed, because you can always overclock the difference yourself. Even if you don't, factory overclocks are not going to make a significant difference in gaming.

As an example, I bought a MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming instead of the faster MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X. It was $20 cheaper and had only a very slight difference in core clock. I then found this card overclocks all the way to 2138 MHz!

• Pay attention to the picture of the card. If it doesn't look like it would aesthetically match your build, you may want to consider a different option. If you don't care about aesthetics, don't worry.

It may also be worth considering the connectors required to power the card. A card that has a 6-pin and 8-pin connector may overclock better than a card that just has an 8-pin connector. Like anything that has to do with overclocking, this is never a guarantee.

1) will it tell me if its a blower-style/ reference cooler? and whats an SFF build

2)I have never clocked something before how do I do it? 

2a) Can i do it on a 750ti and how far is "Safe" for my card? 

2b) will it make a difference when i OC it?

3)how do i tell what the clock speed is? In reviews or can i find it on the store page such as bestbuy or Nvidia's website

4) how do I tell if my card is a 6-pin or 8- pin? do i have to go into my pc and disconnect it to find out?

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Reimburse basically means pay them back so you're technically still paying for it. The MSI Aero 1070 is one of the cheapest on the market(and I personally love the cooler design). Every card has a different type of cooler, all with different names that vary by brand. Asus Strix, Gigabyte Windforce, MSI Twin Frozr V, EVGA ACX 3.0, etc for example.

and the things such as "Strix" Windforce" "frozr V" ACX" are all colors?

1 minute ago, Yana said:

1) will it tell me if its a blower-style/ reference cooler? and whats an SFF build

2)I have never clocked something before how do I do it? 

2a) Can i do it on a 750ti and how far is "Safe" for my card? 

2b) will it make a difference when i OC it?

3)how do i tell what the clock speed is? In reviews or can i find it on the store page such as bestbuy or Nvidia's website

4) how do I tell if my card is a 6-pin or 8- pin? do i have to go into my pc and disconnect it to find out?

1. Blower style cards only have one "small" fan at the end of the card that sucks air in and pushed it out the back, take a look a reference GTX 1000 series for some images.

2. Factory overclocked cards are always more expensive, buy the cheapest one and overclock it yourself with MSI Afterburner, there are many guids on Youtube that tell you how.

Also, overclocking you current 750ti won't be such an improvement that it stops you from lagging, most of the time overclocking gains just a couple of FPS.

3. Clock speeds are presented on the manufacturers website for said card.

4. for 6/8 pins connectors, you can look for yourself or search the internet, most of the time a picture will be enough to see if the card has a 6 pin or 8 pin or both

CPU Intel Core i5-7500  MoBo MSI B250M PRO RAM 16GB (2x8) Crucial DDR4-2400 GPU MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB OC

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 + GB 2TB Seagate Barracuda Case Sharkoon VS4-S PSU Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 400

Monitor Acer KG271A + AOC G2460VQ6 Keyboard Sharkoon Skiller MECH SGK1 (Kaihl Brown) Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite Headset Corsair VOID Wireless Dolby 7.1 RGB

VR Oculus Rift

5 minutes ago, Yana said:

and the things such as "Strix" Windforce" "frozr V" ACX" are all colors?

Nah those are just names companies give to their cooler styles

CPU Intel Core i5-7500  MoBo MSI B250M PRO RAM 16GB (2x8) Crucial DDR4-2400 GPU MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB OC

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 + GB 2TB Seagate Barracuda Case Sharkoon VS4-S PSU Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 400

Monitor Acer KG271A + AOC G2460VQ6 Keyboard Sharkoon Skiller MECH SGK1 (Kaihl Brown) Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite Headset Corsair VOID Wireless Dolby 7.1 RGB

VR Oculus Rift

39 minutes ago, Yana said:

Hello there, I am wanting to buy a new gpu since it is nearly the end of the year! I have had a gtx 750ti for a while and while I am satisfied with it... I would love to run PUBG without lagging etc.(I know that there will be lagging still but not as much if you understand >.<)   I was recommended a 980ti but atm when I look up that card it comes up with  600$ cards. I know that there is a subreddit for people selling used cards like the 980ti for 300$-400$ problem is, i'm still a young-in. since I cannot drive nor have a credit card I was planning on going to BestBuys tomorrow to get a new GPU(if thats a good idea?). My plan was to get a 1070 but I do not know about which brand is best for such things as the 1070.

My pc specs: i5-6600

GPU:750ti (wanting suggestions to replace or go with the 1070)

Motherboard:B150M PRO-D'

RAM:8GB

1tb Harddrive

PSU- 44W(dont know the brand etc, need to upgrade it soon or right now)

Games I would LOVE to run: PUBG and Monster Hunter World(when it comes out)

budget would be 400 or near

After all this info I already gave you, I personally have a MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC, this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137053

I really like it, and was the cheapest 1060 with 6 gigs of memory. It runs PUBG perfect at max @ 1080p and is "only" $270

VR Oculus Rift

2 minutes ago, 12chrismi said:

Nah those are just names companies give to their cooler styles

dang. Ty very much for taking your precious time to answer that quentionnaire

Just now, 12chrismi said:

After all this info I already gave you, I personally have a MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC, this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137053

I really like it, and was the cheapest 1060 with 6 gigs of memory. It runs PUBG perfect at max @ 1080p and is "only" $270

does 1060/1070 really matter on performance? or is it just numbers for how dated they are

VR Oculus Rift

Just now, Yana said:

does 1060/1070 really matter on performance? or is it just numbers for how dated they are

Yeah well the 1070 will perform better talk 20-30 fps, and will last maybe a year longer, but is also around $150 more

VR Oculus Rift

Yeah well the 1070 will perform better talk 20-30 fps, and will last maybe a year longer, but is also around $150 more

So if i wanted bang for my buck.... 1060? im confused... plus should i OC it when i receive it? i also heard it voids your warranty 

2 minutes ago, Yana said:

dang. Ty very much for taking your precious time to answer that quentionnaire

Hey man, No problem, I just like to help people and share my passion for computer components

VR Oculus Rift

Just now, Yana said:

So if i wanted bang for my buck.... 1060? im confused... plus should i OC it when i receive it? i also heard it voids your warranty 

Well most cards are already OC'ed from the box. And will run faster when cooling allows it. It says on the box that is runs at 1759 Mhz Boost, but when i open MSI afterburner it runs at 1911 Mhz at 60 degrees C. So don't worry about overclocking too much, you can always overclock it yourself. And bang for buck wise, if your budget is around 400$, go with the 1070, it will give more FPS and will be able to play AAA titles at 1080p 60fps for maybe a year longer the 1060 would.

VR Oculus Rift

Well most cards are already OC'ed from the box. And will run faster when cooling allows it. It says on the box that is runs at 1759 Mhz Boost, but when i open MSI afterburner it runs at 1911 Mhz at 60 degrees C. So don't worry about overclocking too much, you can always overclock it yourself. And bang for buck wise, if your budget is around 400$, go with the 1070, it will give more FPS and will be able to play AAA titles at 1080p 60fps for maybe a year longer the 1060 would.

And the 1070 can run with my i5-6600 fine with that motherboard and will FIT? also, when will i need to ever replace the fan at the front and back of my tower?

5 minutes ago, Yana said:

And no, Overclocking doesn't void your warranty.

MSI: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=152682.0

EVGA: https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=55

VR Oculus Rift

1 minute ago, Yana said:

And the 1070 can run with my i5-6600 fine with that motherboard and will FIT? also, when will i need to ever replace the fan at the front and back of my tower?

Yeah I will work fine, your CPU is more than recent enough to last for years. Just take your 750ti out and put the 1070 in. Just install the driver you download from Nvidia's site (recommend that you do this beforehand, and put it on your desktop or whatever) and then install the driver and you should be fine.

Also 1 fan in the front and one in the back is enough, I have that too and, and both run under load at about 60 degrees.

VR Oculus Rift

1 minute ago, 12chrismi said:

Yeah I will work fine, your CPU is more than recent enough to last for years. Just take your 750ti out and put the 1070 in. Just install the driver you download from Nvidia's site (recommend that you do this beforehand, and put it on your desktop or whatever) and then install the driver and you should be fine.

Also 1 fan in the front and one in the back is enough, I have that too and, and both run under load at about 60 degrees.

If you have an ATX tower case it should fit easily @ 267 mm in lenght. If you have a small case, try to find the maximum GPU lenght it supports

VR Oculus Rift