ESD STRAPS HELP

Leoram425

Hi I’m building my first pc and I’ve got everything ready but I’ve notived one problem. I have no idea where to attach my ESD strap. I know you can attach it to your psu and that you need to have your pay connected to the wall but not turned on, however I’m pretty sure my whole entire psu is painted! Same with my case it’s painted and I can’t really find any real places to clip the thing. So where do I clip it? And can you clip it to a case and does the case need to be grounded also via installing the pay and connecting it to an outlet?

4 minutes ago, Leoram425 said:

Hi I’m building my first pc and I’ve got everything ready but I’ve notived one problem. I have no idea where to attach my ESD strap. I know you can attach it to your psu and that you need to have your pay connected to the wall but not turned on, however I’m pretty sure my whole entire psu is painted! Same with my case it’s painted and I can’t really find any real places to clip the thing. So where do I clip it? And can you clip it to a case and does the case need to be grounded also via installing the pay and connecting it to an outlet?

Connect it to any grounded source. In the UK, all of our wall-mounted radiators are earthed (grounded) so you could clip it to one of those if you like.

Realistically though, if you ground yourself before beginning work, and don't go around generating static in your body whilst working with your build, you shouldn't need the strap.

Examples of what *not* to do during the build would be: rubbing your feet on carpets, petting cats, playing with balloons and clothing, etc.

to be honest i have recently done my first build without a esd strap. i dont think you need one there is minimal risk unless your wearing 100% cotton and rubbing your socks against the carpet i think you'll be fine. i did it in light clothing on a concrete basement no static going to be created there but what i did do was touch the power supply ever so often to make sure i had no charge. 

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

@jet224presents yuup, over the past year I've handled something like $6k total worth of pc parts and not one fried.  No rad but I do all my work in a basement 

\_•-•_/

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

@jet224presents yuup, over the past year I've handled something like 6k total worth of pc parts and not one fried.  No rad but I do all my work in a basement 

\_•-•_/

i built it in the basement but proceeded to add the gpu later on, on carpet flooring but remembering the GPU has a back plate (grounded) and the fans in front are all plastic so not much to worry about.

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)