VM is REALLY slow

mpsparrow

Dell Precision 690

dual X5355

32GB of ddr2

300GB 5400RPM HDD

I am working on setting up this server that I have had lying around all summer. Installed Debian and VirtualBox. Everything is running great there. Then I bought a Windows Server license because the photo software I am using requires Windows. Since it was my first vm on the server, I wanted to make sure it ran smoothly while I set it up, I allotted 4 cores and 16GB of memory. The installation of Windows went smoothly. From there I installed the photo software and started setting things up. During setup I linked up with my NAS to bring some images over. I noticed that the transfer rate was 3mb/s. Why is that? With my configuration it should be at least 100mb/s. Furthermore if I go into the Debian install I am downloading at 110mb/s. Besides the slow transfer rate, everything else is just slow. Takes ages to boot up, you type something and text takes ages to show up, you boot up a program and it can take 10 minutes for it to come up. The resources in task manager for it show the CPU at 3%-20% and it is using about 2GB out of the 16GB of ram.

What the heck is up with this? What am I doing wrong? Is the HDD bottlenecking? Did I miss something in the setup?

lol of course it takes ages to boot up... 5400rpm hard drive. Try an SSD or 7200RPM HDD

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Just now, rtpb5642 said:

lol of course it takes ages to boot up... 5400rpm hard drive. Try an SSD or 7200RPM HDD

I have a spare 1.5TB Western Digital Green 7200RPM HDD. Should I bother with installing that? or should I just buy an SSD?

I find VirtualBox is generally pretty slow at running any virtual machine. Try using VMware Player. The full version of VMware Workstation costs money but you can get the basic version for free.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

I find VirtualBox is generally pretty slow at running any virtual machine. Try using VMware Player. The full version of VMware Workstation costs money but you can get the basic version for free.

I tried loading up VMware but couldn't get it installed. Installation kept crashing. I tried basically everything.

2 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I tried loading up VMware but couldn't get it installed. Installation kept crashing. I tried basically everything.

Hyperv is a fairly decent alternative 

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 minute ago, Jrock said:

Hyperv is a fairly decent alternative 

So you think VirtualBox combined with a crappy HDD is the issue then?

Just now, mpsparrow said:

So you think VirtualBox combined with a crappy HDD is the issue then?

I think its mostly just the shitty HDD. I would run anything off of an ssd unless you're running in RAID with HDD's.

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

2 minutes ago, Jrock said:

I think its mostly just the shitty HDD. I would run anything off of an ssd unless you're running in RAID with HDD's.

Ugh, guess I need to hop on Amazon then and order an SSD.

1 hour ago, rtpb5642 said:

Huh. My new 5400rpm WD Blue boots up way faster than my old Raid 0 array with two 7200rpm drives... I'm guessing it's because of a higher data density?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

23 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

Huh. My new 5400rpm WD Blue boots up way faster than my old Raid 0 array with two 7200rpm drives... I'm guessing it's because of a higher data density?

Brand new drives always preform REALLY good for a while... then they slow like its no tomorrow..