Bluetooth issues (xbox controller)

Hakka

I recently upgraded from sli 1080s to a single 1080ti, along with a fresh install of win10. Since upgrading I'm having issues connecting an xbox one wireless controller to the pc. The bluetooth scan for new devices doesn't see it, every now and then it is detected as 'input' (in the past it has been detected as 'xbox one controller') but when i click on 'connect' it hangs for a while and then gives a 'connection failed, try again' message.

I've tried 2 different xbox controllers, both controllers can be connected to my surface pro without issues.

Bluetooth on the pc can see and connect to other bluetooth devices (surface dial and mouse).

I've tried reinstalling the bluetooth drivers, I've tried another fresh install of win10.

I was leaning towards the bluetooth module in the mobo being dodgy (asus rampage iv extreme) but it sees other devices ok.

Right now I'm unable to get hold of a usb bluetooth dongle to try, computer shops are closed until monday.

Before the fresh install and gpu change I had no problems connecting the controllers using the same bluetooth drivers, same hardware (apart from the gpu), same windows version.

Any ideas?