GTX 780 random crashes (no OC)

ILikeBigTree

I resently bought a used GTX 780, it worked just fine the first week untill i started experimenting with a second GPU for PhysX (8800GTX) after the instalment off that card i updated the grahpic driver for both cards and it randomly crashes ingame, i do have sound, keyinput and mic input working just fine but no display, when I restart the PC everything works just fine after. 

I got the 8800GTX out of the system thinking it would solve it but it didn't, I reinstalled the old drivers (388.13) didn't work either stepped one driver lower (388.00) and even lower (387,92) but didn't work.

so maybe windows issue right? no installed new copy off windows 10 still same issue. installed new copy off windows 8.1, and still the same issue.

I also as i do with every card reapplied the thermal paste and not hitting high temps at all (68 Celsius)

what could be the problem?

allot off warnings at ESENT and a few errors at securty that's all i could find from a quick look, i have cleared it and i am going to play a game and see what it does.

i just see, since i installed windows 8.1 i get an error:  "gldriverquery.exe stopped working"

it crashed again but it didn't give any arror, so maybe a hardware issue. BUT it only happend in insurgency sofar, i am going to test in furmark now and run a hour test so i know if it is a hardware issue

Well are you actually monitoring anything with the card or just letting it go?

Also that other card doesn't need to be in there, just taking power away from that Kepler.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Well are you actually monitoring anything with the card or just letting it go?

Also that other card doesn't need to be in there, just taking power away from that Kepler.

i was monitoring it, it hit 82 celsius in furmark (68 celsius is not 100% usage because of CPU bottleneck). i am lending a difirent PSU tomorrow so i can test with that one, and indeed if i just run the stresstest it is stable but when i open somethink simple like HWmonitor my screens get black so it could be taking away power (i am using a 700watt PSU with split 12v rails, and i tried seperating the rails for the GPU, but still same issue)

Well run a benchmark not the killer donut. Cpu isn't gonna stop a gpu in a gpu benchmark. Prolly has old tim if you didn't swap it. Prolly over heating.

Used a 700watt psu but it was some crap unit and I hade the same issue. Had to underclock the cpu and run the gpu at default settings and it would run in heaven or valley just fine.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Well run a benchmark not the killer donut. Cpu isn't gonna stop a gpu in a gpu benchmark. Prolly has old tim if you didn't swap it. Prolly over heating.

Used a 700watt psu but it was some crap unit and I hade the same issue. Had to underclock the cpu and run the gpu at default settings and it would run in heaven or valley just fine.

i will list my PC specs:

CPU: i7 950 (stock), (orded a X5675 to OC)

Motherboard: Asus P6T se

Ram: 18GB DDR3 1333Mhz

PSU: inter tech SL700-plus (indeed a shitty PSU, but it is holding up for the last 3 years)

GPU: Asus GTX780 reference

HDD's: Maxtor diamondmax 22 160GB (C drive), Seagate baracuda 1TB (steam library)

cooler: coolermaster masterliquid 240 lite

The 600watt PSU seemed to have solved the issue, thanks for the help dude and maybe i'll speak to you later.