CPU Cooler size really important?

Chuck Comet

Considering that a CPU cooler sized for a Micro- or Mini-ATX case will adequately cool a higher quality CPU in a limited space environment, would the same small cooler not do the same in an environment with much more space and air flow? Yeah... it looks a little weird having a very small Noctua NH u9s on top of an ATX MOBO in an ATX tower, but if the case has no glass, who cares what it looks like?  Won't it perform the same?

23874065_10214195390214343_1191130114_o.jpg

It should. Which cpu were u planing to cool with it? That is the only thing that matters and if the cooler can mount to the socket.

Just now, Judd said:

It should. Which cpu were u planing to cool with it? That is the only thing that matters and if the cooler can mount to the socket.

Underneath the unit in the pic is the i7 7700K. I am not planning to overclock. 

Just now, Chuck Comet said:

1 minute ago, Judd said:

I would think it would be fine. However, might I ask why you went with a 7700K if you’re not going to overclock?

6 minutes ago, Chuck Comet said:

Considering that a CPU cooler sized for a Micro- or Mini-ATX case will adequately cool a higher quality CPU in a limited space environment, would the same small cooler not do the same in an environment with much more space and air flow? Yeah... it looks a little weird having a very small Noctua NH u9s on top of an ATX MOBO in an ATX tower, but if the case has no glass, who cares what it looks like?  Won't it perform the same?

The form factor can impact thermals, and airflow is also another key component for maintaining stable temps. If you have a consistent amount of airflow through the case, with a good fan configuration regardless of the form factor, then thermals might be slightly different (a degree or two). Another thing to note is ambient temperature which is the typical temperature of your room can also affect thermals in a way as well.

Just now, Chuck Comet said:

If you dont plan on overclocking your 7700k, then it should be able to maintain its full turbo speed of 4.5GHz considering you have a decent cooler of which is beafier enough to keep the temps low.

1 minute ago, Judd said:

I would think it would be fine. However, might I ask why you went with a 7700K if you’re not going to overclock?

I got it for $250... couldn't pass it up. I may decide to overclock one day. I just don't have the need to do so right now. If I do, I will step up in the CPU cooler category.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Comet said:

I got it for $250... couldn't pass it up. I may decide to overclock one day. I just don't have the need to do so right now. If I do, I will step up in the CPU cooler category.

Okay, just wondering. You may want to look at an AIO 120mm or 240mm.

5 minutes ago, Judd said:

Okay, just wondering. You may want to look at an AIO 120mm or 240mm.

One of the reasons I went with smaller fans and CPU cooler is that this build is also a home theater/networking tower, so I am looking for nearly silent operation. An AIO just can't compete there, I think. I also have a beginner's fear of pump failure and fluid damage to my very expensive GPU. 

I'm with @TheBeastPC on this. In theory cooler performs same in every situation. In reality how much case fans bring in air and how heated air escapes does matter. In larger case it takes more time for overall air temp to go up. Since case fans can't exhaust all hot air. In smaller case that limit comes faster as there just isn't that much air to work with.

In perfect situation you would have intakes feeding cool air directly to hot parts and exhaust moving hot air straight out. In practice you don't get this. Cases aren't build that way.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv