Network unreachable - Arch Linux

I'm a bit of a command-line Linux noob. (I only have experience with Linux mint) And today, I've tried to get into the world of Arch Linux. 

I recently did everything for installation, including formatting drives, bootloader and such, then rebooted and booted from my boot drive instead of the installation USB. Everything is working perfectly fine, and I went to download a desktop environment and found out that networking is no longer working. I am unable to ping any website or my router despite being connected via ethernet. Sorry if this is kinda a noob mistake, I'm still a bit new to this and looking to learn. Any help configuring my network would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Use the ifconfig command to see if the NIC is recognized.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Use the ifconfig command to see if the NIC is recognized.

The ifconfig command gives me a reply of "-bash: ifconfig: command not found"

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Just now, Exploded117 said:

The ifconfig command gives me a reply of "-bash: ifconfig: command not found"

Try ip

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

7 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Try ip

Both ip and ipconfig yield nothing, however, I found that ip link responds with:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/either 00:19:b9:00:68:f8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

-Ron White

Both ip and ipconfig yield nothing, however, I found that ip link responds with:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/either 00:19:b9:00:68:f8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Is this a laptop and/or wireless NIC being used?

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Is this a laptop and/or wireless NIC being used?

No, it's a desktop that is connected to my network via ethernet. When I booted the Arch installation from USB, it connected automatically. However, after rebooting Arch from my boot drive, networking is no longer functioning.

-Ron White

2 minutes ago, Exploded117 said:

No, it's a desktop that is connected to my network via ethernet. When I booted the Arch installation from USB, it connected automatically. However, after rebooting Arch from my boot drive, networking is no longer functioning.

Honestly you should find the model of your NIC and just a google search of "x NIC and Arch Linux." That's what I would do, Linux is definitely something that requires very good search engine skills.

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Honestly you should find the model of your NIC and just a google search of "x NIC and Arch Linux." That's what I would do, Linux is definitely something that requires very good search engine skills.

Alright, I'll do some more google searching and see what I can find. Thanks for the help!

-Ron White

Alright, I'll do some more google searching and see what I can find. Thanks for the help!

If I knew more about Arch networking, I would have tried to help more. Sorry

With arch you usually have a networking section in the manual where you learn about netctl somehow i always forget it though but just go to the handbook and look up setting up networking 

i believe it might be enough to do something like netctl enable and your network card and then maybe enable networking using systemctl 

anyway this what you should google for that.

if you plan on running gnome or kde though you might want network manager instead of netctl in which case you can skip this all together and just install the de from a live cd you can boot the arch installer again and mount what you need as if installing without formatting anything then you will get into your installed system then get whatever desktop you need and enable network manager with systemctl enable networkmanager and reboot

maybe also do systemctl enable gdm or sddm while there to boot to ui right away 

On 16/11/2017 at 5:24 AM, Exploded117 said:

I'm a bit of a command-line Linux noob. (I only have experience with Linux mint) And today, I've tried to get into the world of Arch Linux. 

I recently did everything for installation, including formatting drives, bootloader and such, then rebooted and booted from my boot drive instead of the installation USB. Everything is working perfectly fine, and I went to download a desktop environment and found out that networking is no longer working. I am unable to ping any website or my router despite being connected via ethernet. Sorry if this is kinda a noob mistake, I'm still a bit new to this and looking to learn. Any help configuring my network would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

You'll probably find what you need here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-networkd

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

most DE's have a networkmanager that should take care of it.

If you don't have a DE and you will always be connected on that same interface (which you will normally if you don't disconnect your desktop or router):

# start dhcp at interface enp3s0 once
sudo systemctl start dhcpcd@enp3s0.service

# always start dhcp at interface enp3s0 at boot
sudo systemctl enable dhcpcd@enp3s0.service

arch doesn't have ifconfig 'caus it's a part of net-tools which should be avoided.

use ip a instead to get your interfaces and their ip adresses

If you will only use ethernet, then the above should be enough. If you will move your desktop regularly and/or use it offline or use wifi, the I suggest you install network-manager and use nmcli or nm-applet and nm-connection-editor to manage you connections

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

On 11/16/2017 at 5:24 AM, Exploded117 said:

Thanks in advance!

You probably forgot to enable the DHCP service at boot. To solve this, you just need to run

sudo systemctl enable dhcpcd

and if you want to run it without rebooting:

sudo dhcpcd

@101dmrs 's solution is roughly the same thing but it is specific to one interface, it's useful in some scenarios but for most situations I'd say it's unnecessary - just enabling dhcpcd will cause it to automatically request an ip on all available interfaces.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*