two different GPUs one system

JoeNoIce

i was thinking for a while and was wondering if it is possible to team a 1070 and 960 in the same system. because i wanted to take some load off my 1070.

(PS not sure if this is proper place to post. if not then admin or mod please move to appropriate thread location.)

No you can do it like that, the cards cannot be used in SLI. They can be used separately, but one will not affect the other at all.

ok thats good. but i have tried this about 2 years ago with a gtx 660 and a hd7770 and no dice. i thought that it was impossible, but i am glad it is a real possible thing.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No you can do it like that, the cards cannot be used in SLI. They can be used separately, but one will not affect the other at all.

any disclaimers to doing this tho?

Just now, 10xephos01 said:

any disclaimers to doing this tho?

Not really, just install both drivers and they can be used separately for like two different monitors. In some professional apps or mining they both can be used at the same time, but nothing for gaming. 

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You could use the 960 as a PhysX processor, but that's kinda dead so not really much point...

i am just going to use it to run my 4k lg monitor on displayport and take some of the work off the main gpu being the 1070

Just now, 10xephos01 said:

i am just going to use it to run my 4k lg monitor on displayport and take some of the work off the main gpu being the 1070

The 1070 shouldn't have too many issues running 4K, one of the things the tech community forgets to tell people is that the 1070 will do 4K pretty well, the 1080/1080Ti is just better at it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

The 1070 shouldn't have too many issues running 4K, one of the things the tech community forgets to tell people is that the 1070 will do 4K pretty well, the 1080/1080Ti is just better at it.

i cant run 4k on both monitors without one running on 30hz