Unusual Performance Issues in Windows 10

LucasGI

Within the last two-three weeks, my computer has been freezing when I open a program or app. Sometimes my mouse will freeze or skip everywhere and everything will slow down for up to 30 minutes. At times there will be a seven-minute delay between when I move my mouse and when the pointer moves on screen. In task manager, CPU, RAM, GPU, and disk are all around reasonable usage, (about 50%) and my max temps (after a full day of usage) for CPU and GPU are around 30 degrees C. My temps haven't changed since I built my PC a year ago. I originally thought that my HDD was going out which you can see my forum for that here which also may include additional helpful information.

Eventually, I ended up reinstalling Windows on to an SSD, but I'm still experiencing problems. Now I think it could be my GPU. Generally, this only happens when I am opening an app that uses my GPU in some way. I also have problems when I have a lot of apps using my GPU (even though usage % is still below 100%). Generally, when my computer does recover from its thing I'll see "Rats! WebGL hit a snag!" message in Chrome, almost everytime. The last time it happened I had three Chrome windows opened, Unreal Engine, Blender, Firefox, and MagicaVoxel. One of my chrome windows had three tabs opened from scetchfab.com (which uses WebGL and the GPU) and when I switched to that windows after it being opened for a while my computer froze and my mouse pointer would not move. After several minutes I had to hit the reset button on my case. So since this only happens when I'm switching to tasks or windows or opening apps that use my GPU for rendering or task manager, I think it's my graphics card. But I don't know how to tell for sure or how to figure out what really is causing it. 

If I do figure out that my GPU is the problem, what can I do about it? This only started happening just three weeks ago or so and I have experienced no problems before since I built my PC. I've been using the same apps every day since then too. 

My specs are:

CPU: i5-6600k

GPU: MSI GTX1050ti

RAM: 16gb

Storage: 

240gb SSD (C drive)

1tb WD blue 7200RPM (used as C drive in the link above)

Motherboard: MSI H170 gaming M5

Make sure all of your drivers are installed and updated. Also checking your Windows Update couldn't hurt to try.

Just now, KhakiHat said:

Make sure all of your drivers are installed and updated. Also checking your Windows Update couldn't hurt to try.

I already did that, I checked all motherboard, GPU drivers, and Windows updates.

6 minutes ago, LucasGI said:

I already did that, I checked all motherboard, GPU drivers, and Windows updates.

If your motherboard itself has display outputs, I'd try removing your graphics card and to try running solely on your Intel HD graphics as a test. If things seem to go well(Obviously you'll have decreased performance but watch for the lag you described), you could then assume your GPU is the problem.

On 11/9/2017 at 12:12 PM, KhakiHat said:

If your motherboard itself has display outputs, I'd try removing your graphics card and to try running solely on your Intel HD graphics as a test. If things seem to go well(Obviously you'll have decreased performance but watch for the lag you described), you could then assume your GPU is the problem.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:46 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try running those apps on the iGPU instead of the 1050Ti and see if it's a problem

I did that, but I experienced the problem and much worse than before and it started happening not too long after booting up my computer without any programs opened.

2 hours ago, KhakiHat said:

You could always try a fresh install of windows.

Tried that too.

Have you recently installed any updates? The new Fall Creators Update: Build 1709 has been causing a lot of performance issues for a lot of people.