BSOD nvlddmkm.sys

Hello, This is my first post here so let me know if I forget any info. Anyway, my problem is that after purchasing and playing both COD WWII and Destiny 2 I have had repeated BSOD with the stop code of SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with the "what failed" of nvlddmkm.sys. I know that has to do with Nvidia drivers, which I updated when I first saw this happen. However, it has not fixed my problem. I reinstalled the latest drivers to no avail as well. I found something online but it was unclear and the paths didn't match up to mine. I also have the problem of seeing like 6 of these .sys files with a few .sy_ files as well for good measure. 

So system characteristics:

Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7. Was reinstalled when old MO died a few years back, messy reinstall as I have no windows disk. That was at least two years back and this is just occurring. it's an x64 bit system.

MB: Sabertooth 990fx r2.0

CPU: FX-8350

GPU: GTX 1070 Gigabyte made

PSU: Corsair CX750

The original manufacturer was Cyberpower PC, although only thing left from them is the original HDD.

20171103_182448.jpg

Untitled.png

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

Any overclock?

I was using the overclock that was pre-programmed into the Aorus Graphic engine, but I turned it down to the "gaming mode", which is the cards standard mode, when this started happening. But it didnt help

No CPU overclock?

Have you checked event viewer to see what is going on with stuff?

Have you used DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers?

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

No CPU overclock?

Have you checked event viewer to see what is going on with stuff?

Have you used DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers?

I never touched my CPU clock speed before. Ive looked at event viewer but i dont understand what its saying. I also dont know what DDU is. That picture of event view with the highlighted item is where my PC shut down. I dont know where to go from there though.

untitled2.png

Also, I have only had this problem playing Destiny 2 and COD WWII. I play other games like world of tanks and world of warships all the time with no issues. I am wondering if it could be a problem with the graphics card itself. One of the display ports only shows in black and white so im not sure if something else is wrong with it.

I would check for a new PSU. How old is your current one? Otherwise, I'd look at Load Line Calibration in the BIOS. You have Kernel-Power, so I'm thinking possible issue with voltage drop? If you don't have any OC, then the power isn't stable enough for stock. So either bad PSU or worn out board, and you need to stabilize the power.

18 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I would check for a new PSU. How old is your current one? Otherwise, I'd look at Load Line Calibration in the BIOS. You have Kernel-Power, so I'm thinking possible issue with voltage drop? If you don't have any OC, then the power isn't stable enough for stock. So either bad PSU or worn out board, and you need to stabilize the power.

I have turned down the graphics just a tiny bit. And in the past day of playing for a long time, I haven't had another BSOD. Does this confirm the PSU theory?

18 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Also the PSU is from 2014

4 hours ago, kyleb99 said:

Also the PSU is from 2014

4 hours ago, kyleb99 said:

I have turned down the graphics just a tiny bit. And in the past day of playing for a long time, I haven't had another BSOD. Does this confirm the PSU theory?

Sounds like power supply issue ( supply to GPU, not supply as in bad PSU). Turn down settings generally results in less per draw? Or maybe needs increased voltage for more stable clocks?

Do you have another PSU to try?

21 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Sounds like power supply issue ( supply to GPU, not supply as in bad PSU). Turn down settings generally results in less per draw? Or maybe needs increased voltage for more stable clocks?

Do you have another PSU to try?

No I've only got the one PSU. So it could be something on the cards end? maybe software or are you thinking physical defect? One of the Display ports only shows Black and White after only a few days of having the darn thing so it wouldnt surprise me

29 minutes ago, kyleb99 said:

No I've only got the one PSU. So it could be something on the cards end? maybe software or are you thinking physical defect? One of the Display ports only shows Black and White after only a few days of having the darn thing so it wouldnt surprise me

Hm.....

If one of the display outs isn't working, then I would look at a return/exchange if you're still within that period, otherwise you're probably best off filing RMA and getting a new product.

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Hm.....

If one of the display outs isn't working, then I would look at a return/exchange if you're still within that period, otherwise you're probably best off filing RMA and getting a new product.

So you do think its a problem with the card itself?

I would try a new PSU to double check; however, if lowering the settings resolves your issue, it could be either a power issue (which you'd need a new PSU to test) or an issue with the GPU. You could have an internal error causing clock issues or memory fault issues which could cause this issue. If its a PSU issue, then you need a new one. If it's a hardware issue with the GPU, you need a new one. I would first really try and borrow a PSU from someone, OR, if you live in the states, go to a Geek Squad. most of them around here will test your PSU free with a thing they just plug in and read the voltage. Otherwise, purchase a PSU, test it. If you have the same issues, return it in the return policy window and send your GPU RMA.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I would try a new PSU to double check; however, if lowering the settings resolves your issue, it could be either a power issue (which you'd need a new PSU to test) or an issue with the GPU. You could have an internal error causing clock issues or memory fault issues which could cause this issue. If its a PSU issue, then you need a new one. If it's a hardware issue with the GPU, you need a new one. I would first really try and borrow a PSU from someone, OR, if you live in the states, go to a Geek Squad. most of them around here will test your PSU free with a thing they just plug in and read the voltage. Otherwise, purchase a PSU, test it. If you have the same issues, return it in the return policy window and send your GPU RMA.

Ok thank you

6 minutes ago, kyleb99 said:

Ok thank you

You are welcome. I'm sorry I didn't have that all the first time. I was on my phone. Google Keyboard sucks, and I try not to type too much because it always autocorrects to the wrong things. Try and borrow a friends PSU for a couple hours and see if that fixes things. That way you know if that resolves the issue or not.

Best of luck!

On 11/10/2017 at 8:38 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

You are welcome. I'm sorry I didn't have that all the first time. I was on my phone. Google Keyboard sucks, and I try not to type too much because it always autocorrects to the wrong things. Try and borrow a friends PSU for a couple hours and see if that fixes things. That way you know if that resolves the issue or not.

Best of luck!

The lowered graphics dont seem to be working any more. After upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers that just came out I was playing Destiny 2 and got a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD code. Does this narrow down whats wrong?

5 minutes ago, kyleb99 said:

The lowered graphics dont seem to be working any more. After upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers that just came out I was playing Destiny 2 and got a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD code. Does this narrow down whats wrong?

The only other thing I can think of is to clear CMOS to reset your BIOS. Make sure you have ZERO OC on your card. If it still happens (or even before), use Memtest86 to check your system RAM: https://www.memtest86.com/

Otherwise, I still think you need to fulfill your manufacturer warranty. Most things point to a driver issue. So a last ditch effort would be to do a "Refresh" of your operating system. you're on Windows 10, so a refresh will uninstall all programs but keep your data. It should fix any issues with drivers and what not from your "messy install". If it still does that, then I'd still argue hardware issue, get your GPU fixed through the manufacturer.

again:

1. Clear CMOS, play game

2. Memtest86, play game

3. Refresh OS, play game

4. RMA GPU.

Let me know what option you go through. You can start at 1, and work your way through the bottom as well.

13 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

The only other thing I can think of is to clear CMOS to reset your BIOS. Make sure you have ZERO OC on your card. If it still happens (or even before), use Memtest86 to check your system RAM: https://www.memtest86.com/

Otherwise, I still think you need to fulfill your manufacturer warranty. Most things point to a driver issue. So a last ditch effort would be to do a "Refresh" of your operating system. you're on Windows 10, so a refresh will uninstall all programs but keep your data. It should fix any issues with drivers and what not from your "messy install". If it still does that, then I'd still argue hardware issue, get your GPU fixed through the manufacturer.

again:

1. Clear CMOS, play game

2. Memtest86, play game

3. Refresh OS, play game

4. RMA GPU.

Let me know what option you go through. You can start at 1, and work your way through the bottom as well.

Im going to do memtest86 first tonight. According to that first bugcheck code they are saying the ram is a likely candidate for the failures. 

Untitled.png

That kind of BSOD error, from what I read online atleast is connected to nvidia driver issues. So basicaly all I can suggest is try a DDU. Play the game, if it happens, don't know if you might have another GPU laying around just to try it with that. 

37 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

That kind of BSOD error, from what I read online atleast is connected to nvidia driver issues. So basicaly all I can suggest is try a DDU. Play the game, if it happens, don't know if you might have another GPU laying around just to try it with that. 

Can you link a safe place to download this uninstaller?

• 5 months later...

I'm facing the same issue. I build my PC 3 days ago and I installed windows 10 education version 1709 and also installed latest nvidia driver. When I play COD WW2 and COD Black ops 3 I got BSOD but when i play NFS rivals there is no BSOD.
I would appreciate it very much if could give me a solution for this matter.