[HELP] Home Media Player for my Parents

Go to solution Solved by Aleks NE,
1 minute ago, titaniumshield said:

So the components will just work fine with Remix Os I suppose. (except the DVD Writer, requires testing).

Is there anything that I can add or remove to make it more easy to use or maybe include some additional features to it?

I guess you can add a simple launcher from the app store to make it easier to use for them. But it's pretty simple as is, and it works out of the box for me. 

Greetings LTT Community

I want to build a media player for my parents that is easy to use as they are more familiar with Android. So I will be installing Android OS on it. I have some old hardware that I can use for this project.

The idea is to use Android OS installed on the PC so that my parents can easily operate it and also it is output is compatible with an HDMI Tv and an Old RCA input Tv. Since it will be running on Android OS I have some doubts as mentioned below:- (please refer the image for reference

1. Will the Line-In in the motherboard rear I/O be recognised by the Android OS?

2. Will the Media in DVD Writer show up in the Android OS?

If you think I have done something wrong, do let me know the solution, it'll be really helpful.

*Components* (also included in Image attached).

Main

Q8400 Processor

G31 Motherboard

4GB RAM

SSD for OS

1TB HDD

Nvidia GT520

DVD Writer

450W PSU

Additional

Internal USB Header for Bluetooth and WiFi Dongle

Video converter box(USB Powered) for backward compatibility

Internal USB Header for Video Converter Box and SD card reader

Front panel Audio ports

Thank you for sticking until the end, it'll be really helpful if I can get another set of eyes on this project as I'll be gifting this Media Box as an anniversary gift to my parents.

Cheers!

Screenshot (77).png

Keep it simple.

9 minutes ago, titaniumshield said:

Greetings LTT Community

I want to build a media player for my parents that is easy to use as they are more familiar with Android. So I will be installing Android OS on it. I have some old hardware that I can use for this project.

The idea is to use Android OS installed on the PC so that my parents can easily operate it and also it is output is compatible with an HDMI Tv and an Old RCA input Tv. Since it will be running on Android OS I have some doubts as mentioned below:- (please refer the image for reference

1. Will the Line-In in the motherboard rear I/O be recognised by the Android OS?

2. Will the Media in DVD Writer show up in the Android OS?

If you think I have done something wrong, do let me know the solution, it'll be really helpful.

*Components* (also included in Image attached).

Main

Q8400 Processor

G31 Motherboard

4GB RAM

SSD for OS

1TB HDD

Nvidia GT520

DVD Writer

450W PSU

Additional

Internal USB Header for Bluetooth and WiFi Dongle

Video converter box(USB Powered) for backward compatibility

Internal USB Header for Video Converter Box and SD card reader

Front panel Audio ports

Thank you for sticking until the end, it'll be really helpful if I can get another set of eyes on this project as I'll be gifting this Media Box as an anniversary gift to my parents.

Cheers!

Screenshot (77).png

Don't know about the DVD reader but I have Remix OS on my secondary PC and it recognises all my ports normally. 

Just now, <Aleks> said:

Don't know about the DVD reader but I have Remix OS on my secondary PC and it recognises all my ports normally. 

How good and flexible is Remix Os?

Keep it simple.

How good and flexible is Remix Os?

It's pretty good, it has all the features of Android, runs the store fine but I had some trouble using it on 4K and 2560x1080 resolution, that's really the only issue I've had with it. As for media playback, I had no issues using Show Box and Popcorn time with a VPN to stream and download Movies and shows.

Just now, <Aleks> said:

It's pretty good, it has all the features of Android, runs the store fine but I had some trouble using it on 4K and 2560x1080 resolution, that's really the only issue I've had with it. As for media playback, I had no issues using Show Box and Popcorn time with a VPN to stream and download Movies and shows.

So the components will just work fine with Remix Os I suppose. (except the DVD Writer, requires testing).

Is there anything that I can add or remove to make it more easy to use or maybe include some additional features to it?

Keep it simple.

I guess you can add a simple launcher from the app store to make it easier to use for them. But it's pretty simple as is, and it works out of the box for me. 

1 minute ago, <Aleks> said:

Thank you.

I'm just excited to build this, they'll love. :D

Keep it simple.