Asus Maximus IX post code A2

DELTAprime

I moved my system in the sig from a NZXT H440 over to a H700i, everything was working fine in the old case but now I get a post code A2 on the motherboard and a red warning light on the DIMM slots. The CPU and DIMMs were not removed in the transfer. The only change in hardware was replacing the old NZXT Hue+ with the new "AI" fan controller/Hue+ that's built into the H700i.

I'm guessing the motherboard is dead, honestly I've been expecting it to die since I had other memory issues with it in the past.

In an effort to troubleshoot before I ask Amazon for a refund I've cleared the CMOS, no luck. I've swapped a 6600k and another set of DIMMs into the board to and the same issue occurs with the swapped parts. I've unplugged all the SATA drives just leaving the 950 Pro boot drive. I removed the Elgato HD60 Pro capture card. Aside from trying another video card and validating the 7700k in a different motherboard which I'll do tomorrow is there anything else I should try? Note I can't put the Vengeance LED DIMMs in my other PC to validate them because of cooler clearance issues.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

A2 is an error that indicates a problem with reading a connected drive. Did you boot without any drive attached? including the 950 Pro

Just now, Dujith said:

A2 is an error that indicates a problem with reading a connected drive. Did you boot without any drive attached? including the 950 Pro

Nope haven't tried that.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

See if the bios screen pops up that way. If so then you will know its the 950 causing the issue. 

29 minutes ago, Dujith said:

See if the bios screen pops up that way. If so then you will know its the 950 causing the issue. 

Nope that didn't help, even with no drives attached still got the same error.

1 minute ago, DELTAprime said:

Nope that didn't help, even with no drives attached still got the same error.

RMA time then. Or a new MB :S 

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

RMA time then. Or a new MB

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Most people that seem to get this error tend to need an RMA.

Sigh, the mystery deepens.

The A2 error was actually just the post code it stopped on when a BIOS menu that was popping up because of CPU cooler issues. Apparently the Kraken doesn't seem to be working right. Should CAM give me an error or does a Kraken just die silently?

Also the reason I wasn't seeing the BIOS error is because the display out on my GTX 1080 wasn't working. Onboard is working though and I didn't try that previously. Is there any type of test I can run from the onboard graphics to test a 1080? Device manager says it's working fine.