Lenovo to acquire controlling stake in Fujitsu's PC Business, Effectively buying it from Fujitsu.

AlTech

Welp, there goes Toshiba Fujitsu xD.

Lenovo has acquired a controlling stake in Fujitsu's PC Business and thus Lenovo legally owns their new venture in the PC business.

20171102-01a_tcm100-3453937_575px.jpg

The development bank of Japan also now owns a 5% stake in it..

Lenovo, Fujitsu, and the Development Bank of Japan (DBJ) on Thursday announced plans to form a PC joint venture. Lenovo will own a 51% stake in the new venture – giving them the controlling stake of what is becoming of Fujitsu's PC business – while Fujitsu and DBJ will smaller stakes. The joint venture will develop, produce and sell computers under the Fujitsu brand to consumers, but Fujitsu will continue to serve its corporate customers through its channel partner network.

Fujitsu and Lenovo have been negotiating the deal for well over a year, so nothing comes as a surprise. Under the terms of the agreement, Fujitsu will sell a 51% stake in its wholly owned subsidiary Fujitsu Client Computing Limited (FCCL) to Lenovo and a 5% stake to DBJ. The former will pay up to ¥25.5 billion ($223.4 million), whereas the latter will pay up to ¥2.5 billion ($21.9 million) based on performance of FCCL to 2020. Initially, Lenovo will pay Fujitsu ¥17.85 billion ($156.42 million).

TL:DR All future Fujitsu branded consumer notebooks will be coming out of this new joint venture and will mostly be dictated by Lenovo.

As Anandtech mentions, Lenovo isn't a stranger to joint ventures with PC makers.

Lenovo is not new to joint ventures, particularly in Japan. Back in 2011, the company formed a joint PC business with NEC, where it owned a 51% stake. After five years, Lenovo acquired the remaining 49% stake from NEC to become the owner of the company, which controls about a quarter of the Japanese PC market. The takeover of the Fujitsu PC business was expected to increase Lenovo’s PC maker share in Japan to over 40%, but the actual share is unclear because Fujitsu will formally retain its corporate PC business.

After the transaction closes in Q1 FY2018 (Q2 calendar 2018), FCCL will handle R&D, manufacturing, sales, and support of Fujitsu-branded PCs to consumers. The fact that FCCL will retain its “highly-automated and efficient manufacturing” means that Lenovo does not plan to move manufacturing of Fujitsu-branded devices to China, but will localize it in Japan, just like it did with NEC years ago. Obviously, Lenovo will procure parts required by FCCL and will therefore use its economies of scale to cut-down some of the manufacturing costs.

20171102-01b_tcm100-3453939_575px.jpg

And this plan only mentions consumer products Japan but not Europe or Americas. So we have no idea what's going on there.
It's possible that this joint venture won't sell consumer notebooks outside of Japan.

20171102-01b_tcm100-3453939_575px.jpg

Interesting. Welp. RIP Fujitsu's PC Business. I guess that Fujitsu wasn't making boat loads of dough from PC sales anyway unlike Dell and HP.

Source:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11995/lenovo-to-acquire-controlling-stake-of-fujitsus-pc-business

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Will anyone care or notice? :P

The last time I remember toshiba laptops being a thing was back when they were known for overheating xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Will anyone care or notice? :P

I'm too tired LMFAO.

I wrote Toshiba instead of Fujitsu and nobody noticed :D until now.

It was an accident, I swear xD.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm too tired LMFAO.

I wrote Toshiba instead of Fujitsu and nobody noticed :D until now xD.

Oh, I just assumed they owned them or something.

I've never heard of a fujitsu laptop, so this matters even less now  xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, I just assumed they owed them or something.

Although at this point I could have substituted either and the article would still make sense cos neither are doing well xD.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, I just assumed they owned them or something.

They exist.

They just were aimed at businesses in an environment when many other laptops did justice.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I sure love preinstalled keyloggers. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

26 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

They exist.

They just were aimed at businesses in an environment when many other laptops did justice.

Oh those Fujitsu laptops sucked soo badly ...  They were the slowest laptops I´ve ever seen, and some of them just came apart.

Then they took several months to replace a broken tape library under warranty.  That was entirely unacceptable.

Do not buy Fujitsu.