Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Airflow/CPU Cooler Questions

Donutwithacape
 Share

Hello friends,

 

I'm building a new PC and am strongly considering the NH-D15S in dual fan configuration for my 8700K that I intend to purchase. The case I am recommended is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, I believe it comes only with the rear 140mm exhaust fan. Here is my build in case it matters: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PmXkVY

 

My question is this; how do I influence the airflow in my system to properly cool a 8700K at stock speeds? I do not intend to overclock until I am confident enough to do so (so not anytime soon). I read that the noctua is a phenominal (if not the best) air cooler, so I am getting the NH-D15S and an additional NF-A15 so the cooler is dual fan.

 

I will purchase whatever fans I need in order to create a positive air flow environment in my case for maximum cooling potential, and I'm looking for tips and pointers on how to make that happen. I don't know anything about fan controllers or going into BIOS to configure RPMs of existing fans, so the plainest of words will be appreciated. Please give me your best advise on how to best cool my system using air, and what I'd need to purchase in order to make that happen (ex: what brand of fans, what size, what position in the case, etc)

 

Thank you guys!

 

P.S. This case is perfect for me because I do want an optical drive in the 5.25" port, so at maximum I can have 2 140mm fans intake from the front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep the fan in the rear, slap a couple 120/140mm fans in the front, should be all set.

Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

positive air pressure is a dust thing not so much a temp thing. negative pressure will actually cool better if that's really the aim but the you get a case full of dust (THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE CASE WITH AIO, in before dimwits jump at me) positive pressure is also easier for you to intuitively prevent dead zones in the cooling. but otherwise to answer your question, it depends how you mount he cooler = or ll. because that cooler is massive man... either of these could interfere with the RAM or GPU and will affect cooling differently based on what's in the way. ultimately above advise is the simplest answer but there isn't really a one size fits all because we don't know the whole picture

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

in front , out back airflow....noctua all around....should be fine

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Theguywhobea said:

Keep the fan in the rear, slap a couple 120/140mm fans in the front, should be all set.

Sounds good! Nothing on the top fan area?

1 hour ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

positive air pressure is a dust thing not so much a temp thing. negative pressure will actually cool better if that's really the aim but the you get a case full of dust (THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE CASE WITH AIO, in before dimwits jump at me) positive pressure is also easier for you to intuitively prevent dead zones in the cooling. but otherwise to answer your question, it depends how you mount he cooler = or ll. because that cooler is massive man... either of these could interfere with the RAM or GPU and will affect cooling differently based on what's in the way. ultimately above advise is the simplest answer but there isn't really a one size fits all because we don't know the whole picture

Well, I do want to protect against dust and cat hair and the like as well. I plan to mount the NH-D15S as ||, pushing air out towards the rear exhaust. The RAM I've chosen has juuuuuust enough height to it to be compatible with the D15S. Actually, it's kind of why I went with the D15S, they updated the D15 model with RAM clearance and GPU clearance in mind, and I hope it all comes together well. I may have to have the second fan above the RAM lifted just a tad, but it will still provide better cooling than having just one fan, I imagine.

1 hour ago, jools said:

in front , out back airflow....noctua all around....should be fine

Awesome, thank you! Nothing in the top?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Donutwithacape said:

Sounds good! Nothing on the top fan area?

Well, I do want to protect against dust and cat hair and the like as well. I plan to mount the NH-D15S as ||, pushing air out towards the rear exhaust. The RAM I've chosen has juuuuuust enough height to it to be compatible with the D15S. Actually, it's kind of why I went with the D15S, they updated the D15 model with RAM clearance and GPU clearance in mind, and I hope it all comes together well. I may have to have the second fan above the RAM lifted just a tad, but it will still provide better cooling than having just one fan, I imagine.

Awesome, thank you! Nothing in the top?

The top isn't filtered so I wouldn't use it as an intake, and adding fans in the top will probably result in a negative case pressure (as you'd have more exhaust fans that intake) and you already know why you don't want negative pressure.

Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Fractal Focus G *white* case, Gigabyte 1080 8GB

Laptop: EVGA SC17 1070: i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4K Gysnc panel

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not oc'ing, the NH-D15S is overkill.

Some cheaper alternatives include the

Kotetsu: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

Mugen 5: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q9QRsY/scythe-mugen-5-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5000

You can alternatively go with Noctua for an easier installation

NH-U12S: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wjmLrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s

NH-U14S: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DMjG3C/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

 

For front intake, a pair of 140mm's would be do well. Depending on how much you want to spend, good options include

PW2: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wj8H99/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-140-612-cfm-140mm-fan-bl040

Hyperborea: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gD9KHx/rosewill-case-fan-rocf11003

NF-P14S: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8r9KHx/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1500pwm

SW3: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bkJkcf/be-quiet-bl067-595-cfm-140mm-fan-bl067

NF-A14: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dwR48d/noctua-case-fan-nfa14pwm

 

For positive airflow, run your intake fans at higher rpm than your rear exhaust.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Donutwithacape said:

Awesome, thank you! Nothing in the top?

fans ...2 on front, 2 on heatsink, 1 or 2 back top corner( 1 fan pos pressure,2 fan neutral pressure)

 

please note ... neutral case pressure is ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're not oc'ing, the NH-D15S is overkill.

Some cheaper alternatives include the

Kotetsu: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7998TW/scythe-cpu-cooler-scktt1000

Mugen 5: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q9QRsY/scythe-mugen-5-512-cfm-cpu-cooler-scmg-5000

You can alternatively go with Noctua for an easier installation

NH-U12S: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wjmLrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s

NH-U14S: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DMjG3C/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

 

For front intake, a pair of 140mm's would be do well. Depending on how much you want to spend, good options include

PW2: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wj8H99/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-140-612-cfm-140mm-fan-bl040

Hyperborea: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gD9KHx/rosewill-case-fan-rocf11003

NF-P14S: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8r9KHx/noctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1500pwm

SW3: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bkJkcf/be-quiet-bl067-595-cfm-140mm-fan-bl067

NF-A14: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dwR48d/noctua-case-fan-nfa14pwm

 

For positive airflow, run your intake fans at higher rpm than your rear exhaust.

Thank you for this info.

 

How do I go about running the intake fans at a higher RPM? I imagine this  is a BIOS thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bios or sometimes the motherboard have a fan controller software built in that you can access on Windows

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Donutwithacape said:

Thank you for this info.

How do I go about running the intake fans at a higher RPM? I imagine this  is a BIOS thing?

Yes, you should be able to control the fan speeds through your settings if you plug them into your motherboard.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×