Time to Upgrade?

iRyzen420

I currently have a system I built in 2015 with an i7 4790K and a GTX 970. Is it time to upgrade or should I wait? Can't provide full specs because im on my phone. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

4790k still fine for most things. Upgrade to ryzen ONLY IF you need more cores. 

Consider waiting for Volta (mid 2018) or 1070ti now. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just keep waiting. If you really want to upgrade, the only thing worth changing is the GPU. CPU wise, it hasn't moved much in 2 years, unless you really need more cores (you don't for gaming)

And to be honest, the 970 is still a pretty damn good card today.

My system is even older than that and I'm personally still waiting for something worthwhile to come out, which will probably be by mid 2018 by the looks of it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I would consider changing a GPU to get a full 4gb of VRAM but other than that your fine

My life

If anything you might want to upgrade your GPU, but the 970 is still a very good performer in today's titles, and will play ANY game in 1080p with all the details at at least 60fps. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

how much ram do you have? if its 8gb then I dont see a reason to upgrade unless you have failing parts, and if then upgrade what gives you trouble.

the CPU is perfectly fine and the GPU well I would of got a 390 over the 970 to start with but since you have a 970 its still good for today's games,

but if anything upgrade the GPU to a 1070 or 1070TI  

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

3 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

how much ram do you have? if its 8gb then I dont see a reason to upgrade unless you have failing parts, and if then upgrade what gives you trouble.

the CPU is perfectly fine and the GPU well I would of got a 390 over the 970 to start with but since you have a 970 its still good for today's games,

but if anything upgrade the GPU to a 1070 or 1070TI  

I've got 16gb of corsair dominator platinum ram. Im thinking if I upgraded anything it would be the GPU to a 1070.

1 hour ago, iRyzen420 said:

I've got 16gb of corsair dominator platinum ram. Im thinking if I upgraded anything it would be the GPU to a 1070.

lol i would of used the RAM money to buy a 390x when you got the build lol. then  you'd be set for even longer on GPU side 

RAM is RAM, the $200 ram will perform the same as the $80 ram (if speed is the same)

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no