Plex Server

Hi,

I've currently got a 4 bay Qnap with the plex app, but it can't trans code anything. It's really frustrating.

So, I'm going to build a plex server that will not need updating for quite a while. I just want to be able to set and forget.

I'm also 

Case: Norco RPC-4224 Rackmount Server Chassis  -  $532.00

Motherboard: Gigabyte X170-WS ECC Motherboard  -  $289.00

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K  -  $299.00

Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler  -  $45.00

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black  -  $239.00

Storage: Western Digital WD Red 4TB WD40EFRX  -  $205.00

SAS Controller: Yet to be determined.

(All prices in AUS/AUD)

I'm open to any constructive suggestions. I've also thought of perhaps AMD? Never used them.

I'm also looking for some really good software to rip all of my blu-rays and dvd's. I've been using MakeMKV but the files are quite huge.
I've come to the conclusion that if I really want to watch a movie in all it's glory, I can just grab the disk.

I'm also thinking of building two of these servers and have the other at a relatives house. That way they can both sync and we can both add to the huge collection.

2 minutes ago, SmarticleCo said:

why are you going for the 24 bay chassis?

Mainly because I know there's going to be quite a few drives in this system.

To find a PSU with a high enough output to cover all of them is hard. Especially in a 2U form factor.

Going with the 4224 case, I can use a standard ATX PSU and not have to worry about sourcing a stupidly priced rare item.

I hope this clarifies it a little.

If you're looking at lots of storage, you could look at a used server like a Dell R510.

Or if you are just wanting a bit of storage space, you could look at 8-12 bay cases. I use a Node 804 for my storage server since I can fit 10 3.5" drives in it. 

3 hours ago, kerradeph said:

If you're looking at lots of storage, you could look at a used server like a Dell R510.

I did look at a few of these, especially the 12 bay.

When the power supply inevitably fails, to replace it will be quite a cost.

Because of the popularity, you can just buy another UPS off of Ebay for pretty cheap.