RAM Pricing

Ardy

Is RAM pricing expected to go down in the near future? I'm asking because i'm building a PC for my brother and i wanna give it to him for christmas and i was wondering if i should buy now before it gets more expensive or wait.

Thank you

There will be some sort of disaster or shortage somewhere to maintain or increase pricing. I have absolutely no proof of this, but it'll be a thing.

Just now, Siedge said:

Well are you looking into DDR3 or DDR4?

Sorry i forgot to mention that, i'm looking into DDR4, 16GB 3000mhz to be precise.

Just now, Ardy said:

Sorry i forgot to mention that, i'm looking into DDR4, 16GB 3000mhz to be precise.

It should just go up for now...

subscribe to pewdiepie

7 minutes ago, Ardy said:

I don't see it going down anytime soon for new kits. However if you aren't against sitting and watching ebay I scored 32gb of 3000mhz ram for like $140 total (8x2)

No, you should expect it to go up if anything. Toshiba had to halt some NAND production for 3-6  weeks due to a ransomware attack, so they're behind. While it was NAND intended for SSDs, it will likely affect RAM as well. I believe the estimated loss was about 400Petabytes (400,000 Terabytes) of NAND. 

There's been a shortage of flash memory for a while now thanks to people switching to DDR4 and more systems coming with SSDs as standard. It was improving, but this isn't going to fair well for pricing. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

No, you should expect it to go up if anything. Toshiba had to halt some NAND production for 3-6  weeks due to a ransomware attack, so they're behind. While it was NAND intended for SSDs, it will likely affect RAM as well. I believe the estimated loss was about 400Petabytes (400,000 Terabytes) of NAND. 

There's been a shortage of flash memory for a while now thanks to people switching to DDR4 and more systems coming with SSDs as standard. It was improving, but this isn't going to fair well for pricing. 

7 minutes ago, Siedge said:

I don't see it going down anytime soon for new kits. However if you aren't against sitting and watching ebay I scored 32gb of 3000mhz ram for like $140 total (8x2)

I'll buy it right now just to be safe then. Thanks guys

3 minutes ago, Ardy said:

I'll buy it right now just to be safe then. Thanks guys

Goodluck on your pc building adventure!!

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Also Samsung and TSMC both shut down Fabs late summer to upgrade them, they are not expected to come back online until early 2018 at the soonest. I would expect supplies to be tight though mid to late 2018 assuming nothing else goes wrong. i.e., no floods, earthquakes or other disasters centered on fab locations, no major economic changes, no new releases of hot hardware (i.e., Apple releases an unknown new product that flies off the shelf, needing all RAM supplies, somebody actually gets a smartwatch that is consumer ready and wanted and it starts selling millions of units - that kind of thing would impact memory supplies). 

Due to the fact that all DRAM manufacturers focus more on the mobile sector at this point and also in the near future I don´t think we will see DDR4 prices decrease by any meanings. Unfortunately I think the prices will even increase more.

The prices are quite crazy I have to admit... I mean I payed for 32GB 3466MHz G.Skill more than for the freaking X299 motherboard...

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

3 minutes ago, Najuno said:

Due to the fact that all DRAM manufacturers focus more on the mobile sector at this point and also in the near future I don´t think we will see DDR4 prices decrease by any meanings. Unfortunately I think the prices will even increase more.

The prices are quite crazy I have to admit... I mean I payed for 32GB 3466MHz G.Skill more than for the freaking X299 motherboard...

It's just insane right now, i remember 2 years ago when i built my first pc, i got 16gb of ddr3 for 90$. I just paid 190 for 16gb of ddr4, at least it's 3000mhz.

17 minutes ago, Ardy said:

It's just insane right now, i remember 2 years ago when i built my first pc, i got 16gb of ddr3 for 90$. I just paid 190 for 16gb of ddr4, at least it's 3000mhz.

I payed in March 2016 at MicroCenter 90 bucks for 2x8 GB DDR4 3000MHz from EVGA. It´s really not funny to build a PC right now. 

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling