Wife's New Build

McCloudX1070
Go to solution Solved by McCloudX1070,

Ok so extremely weird situation but I found the problem and was able to fix it easily. The Phanteks Evolv Shift is an ITX so it is compact, to say the least. Well, there is a channel in the center of the case for cable management. We have a lot of cables routed through the center channel which was the cause of the problem. The cable running from the power switch to the connector that goes to the motherboard was tangled up and pulled so tight it was unplugged from underneath the switch housing of the power button. Once I opent he switch housing, i found the unplugged cable. We rerouted the cable, plugged it back in and all seems to be working well now! 

Thank you to everyone for the input. We both truly appreciate it!!

So I just built a new PC for my wife. The PC has been working just fine for a couple days. All health stats checked out in EUFI and using monitoring software all temps were great. She played a couple games with all temps, voltages in range. PC ran great. I shut it down and unplugged it in an attempt to get Corsair links to identify her H80i V2 which involved turning it off, unplugging and checking the cables for the pump. Now it won't boot, fans won't spin, LEDs and the power light on the motherboard are working. They turn on but nothing happens when I press the power button. I've tried unplugging the PSU, trying a different outlet, and resetting the CMOS with the PSU unplugged. Nothing has worked. Please if anyone has any other troubleshooting suggestions?

thanks in advance, really could use some help

I didn't have to unplug things to install Corsair Link to monitor my H55...

Is there another system you can try testing all the other components in?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Is the 8-pin CPU cable in correctly? And the 24-pin one?

Is the H80i V2 connected properly to the motherboard?

Dumb question: Is the PSU turned on? (not sure whether it turned off would still allow the LEDs to light up... just checking).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Another suggestion - could you have accidentally knocked the front panel headers loose when working in the system? Try shorting the two power cable pins together using a paperclip to see if it boots that way.

Student of Computer Science, programming aficionado, has thrown a few builds together

5 minutes ago, monotron said:

Another suggestion - could you have accidentally knocked the front panel headers loose when working in the system? Try shorting the two power cable pins together using a paperclip to see if it boots that way.

So I have to go to work and I feel awful that my wife's PC isn't running. I did try shorting the power pins together and the PC booted with all lights and fans running but no video. No time to look at, have to wait until after work. Thank all of you guys so very much for the advice.

Just now, McCloudX1070 said:

So I have to go to work and I feel awful that my wife's PC isn't running. I did try shorting the power pins together and the PC booted with all lights and fans running but no video. No time to look at, have to wait until after work. Thank all of you guys so very much for the advice.

I'm sure you can get it fixed, not to worry. You could try reseating anything in the general vicinity of where you worked on the system - it's entirely possible you might have knocked something loose, including the CPU if you can. Try stripping the system down to its bare-minimum configuration (i.e. no GPU) to see if you get any further in the POST process. Does your motherboard have Dr Debug/POST codes or anything similar? If it's sticking on a particular code, you could look it up in your motherboard manual.

Student of Computer Science, programming aficionado, has thrown a few builds together

Very possible I did knock something loose. It's a Asus Z370-I in a Phanteks Evolve Shift case so it's very crowded. I only unplugged and replugged in the USB cable for the AIO H80i v2 on both sides of the connection. But with how snug everything is, I could of knowkced something loose or maybe the PCI-E isn't seated properly or failed. Either way thanks for the help, I'll post again later tonight after work. Hopefully I can get it working or narrow down the issue. 

1 hour ago, monotron said:

I'm sure you can get it fixed, not to worry. You could try reseating anything in the general vicinity of where you worked on the system - it's entirely possible you might have knocked something loose, including the CPU if you can. Try stripping the system down to its bare-minimum configuration (i.e. no GPU) to see if you get any further in the POST process. Does your motherboard have Dr Debug/POST codes or anything similar? If it's sticking on a particular code, you could look it up in your motherboard manual.

Ok so I'm home, I used a paper clip to jump the two power SW pins on the motherboard. Waited a little longer than normal on a monitor not finding a signal right away then the PC booted up just fine into windows. I couldn't get the PC to turn on via the case wiring and connector for the power SW pins on the motherboard though...so maybe we got unlucky with the wires and connections. Not certain yet just thought I'd update as I continue to investigate and figure this all out. Everything checks out in the BIOS health monitoring section, fans, everything is good. The only issue is turning the PC with the power button. Idk if the button is broken or poor connection at the connector to the motherboard but the connections on the "Power SW" to the MB looks fine. I can see an equal amount of metal on each side and the power button worked the first few times powering the PC on and off. So...idk the work around here?  Contact Phanteks about the case or is there an underlining problem I could be overlooking?

Ok so extremely weird situation but I found the problem and was able to fix it easily. The Phanteks Evolv Shift is an ITX so it is compact, to say the least. Well, there is a channel in the center of the case for cable management. We have a lot of cables routed through the center channel which was the cause of the problem. The cable running from the power switch to the connector that goes to the motherboard was tangled up and pulled so tight it was unplugged from underneath the switch housing of the power button. Once I opent he switch housing, i found the unplugged cable. We rerouted the cable, plugged it back in and all seems to be working well now! 

Thank you to everyone for the input. We both truly appreciate it!!